Troubles with simple pc cleaning/hardware issue..

Eyaru

Beta member
So I took my laptop apart in order to clean it. I had looked up lots of tutorials on how to do it but honestly I was under prepared.
after finishing up the cleaning of my fan and dusting the rest of my computer, four problems showed themselves.

Tl;dr skip to part 4 for the problem.

1) My pc would not turn on. No power it seemed, even with battery and cord. I fixed this by doing the whole "hold the power button to discharge static electricity.

2) My wifi was not working. So I messed with device manager to no avail, and eventually restarting my computer to try in fix it. That is when my third issue began. Which is strange since I was just running my computer fine.

3) My computer would boot up for roughly ten seconds and then shut itself off. No beeping, and it seemed as if my computer was actually going to stay on. Display was working and I could view an Hp thing on the screen. After this continued and worsened, I figred I must have missed something reassemble the thing.

4) I went back in and believe I had one of the ribbon cable backwards/up side down. But to be sure, I went through and made sure everything was connected correctly. As was doing so, I was messing with one of the ribbon cables and it's clip (Hinged connector), and the clip broke off. At first I tried to fix it, and even ended up leaving it on there hoping it would work and not thinking anything of it. Needless to say, that clip was the one related to powering on, at the top left side on the motherboard. The tag is fine, but it's holding clip that presses it down broke off.

My computer does not do anything, even after static discharge. I suppose the real question here is, "is this easy to replace, the clip I mean, or can it be reattached if I go back in again?" Any help would be nice. The name of the clip, how much repairs would cost if I took it to a shop, and if it's possible to ix myself. Thanks in advance.

The attachment should be the general idea. (not my computer, also not the same spot)

Attachments

• FPS1MDMFA0CVIDY.LARGE.gif
    FPS1MDMFA0CVIDY.LARGE.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
4) I went back in and believe I had one of the ribbon cable backwards/up side down. But to be sure, I went through and made sure everything was connected correctly. As was doing so, I was messing with one of the ribbon cables and it's clip (Hinged connector), and the clip broke off. At first I tried to fix it, and even ended up leaving it on there hoping it would work and not thinking anything of it. Needless to say, that clip was the one related to powering on, at the top left side on the motherboard. The tag is fine, but it's holding clip that presses it down broke off.

My computer does not do anything, even after static discharge. I suppose the real question here is, "is this easy to replace, the clip I mean, or can it be reattached if I go back in again?" Any help would be nice. The name of the clip, how much repairs would cost if I took it to a shop, and if it's possible to ix myself. Thanks in advance.

The attachment should be the general idea. (not my computer, also not the same spot)

Its best you find a replacement part for that item you broke.
If you know your laptop model number run a search on ebay and amazon.
Check with sellers that may sell or take out non dead parts out of working laptops and sell them daily.
Your next choice is to contact the manufacturer of you laptop.
Ask them if they may have a spare part for your machine you will be charged s/h if they offer one to you.
Until that wire gets replaced and inserted correctly you won't be using that laptop again.

You might want to record yourself breaking down your laptop and resembling it.
Even if you have a good photographic memory your bound to mess up or screw up sometime while repairing your computer for a long time. :/

The people here that do this as a profession/schooling or just a hobby can vouch for going through this process. :)

Last edited:
A small piece of packing tape will get you through in a pinch, just put the top lever that's broken off and place it where it should be, secure everything with the tape being careful not to tape anything conductive. Tape the top of the holder and the lever and the cable all together...cross your fingers

A small piece of packing tape will get you through in a pinch, just put the top lever that's broken off and place it where it should be, secure everything with the tape being careful not to tape anything conductive. Tape the top of the holder and the lever and the cable all together...cross your fingers

+1 to this.

High-temp tape would be best, since the ambient temp can get up there around components - wouldn't want the tape heating up and coming undone.

Back
Top Bottom