Trouble turning on computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-d-dalton

Beta member
My computer is about 2 years old. It's a Compaq Presario. It has an athalon processor. One day it just would not turn on at all when the power button was pressed. I was told to replace the motherboard by a technician at a big computer store. After messing around with it I figured out that by the following method I could get it to start up: 1. Unplug power cord from back of computer 2. Unplug motherboard harness 3. Plug power cord back in 4. Plug motherboard harness back in. After doing this in order it will start and run fine. But everytime someone turns the computer off I have to follow this procedure again to get it started. What is wrong?

Check All Wires Leading From The Power Button To The Motherboard. It Doesn't Sound Like A Motherboard Issue Sounds More Like A Power Supply Problem. Check All Wires Coming From The Motherboard Going To The Power Supply. Sometimes Wires Can Ground Out If Bare Wire Is Exposed. If The Case Is Dusty Use A Cain Of Forced Air To Blow it Out.

Hawk

I have had a sort similar power supply problem like that already.

My problem was that the cords attaching from the motherboard to the power supply used to get loosened.

Since I did not really know what order cords are supposed to go in (about 6 yellow, 2 green and 2 black cords). I just kept switching them around till it worked. Then stuck it with tape! :D It has never fallen out since. :)

Your problem however sound more complicated that, but that is all I can say on that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom