Trouble with SDTV as second monitor... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Frogmaster Send a message via Yahoo to Frogmaster
Default Trouble with SDTV as second monitor...

A monitor counts as computer hardware, right? Or a peripheral? Anyway...

I recently found some cables in a box for converting s-video to the yellow composite video output, so I decided to hook up my TV as a second monitor for watching videos on. The TV in question is a 32" 640x480 (It seems to work at 720x480 as well) old Zenith that only has composite inputs. So, I plug it in and Windows recognizes it. However, none of the settings I try for resolution or refresh rate work, as it stays black. I even went through the signal format listings in the Nvidia control panel (My card's a 9800GTX) and tried every composite format available, PAL and NTSC. Whenever I change formats, the TV flickers and shows my desktop for just a moment before going back to a blank screen. It also shows it for a moment when I hit 'Detect Monitors' in the Windows resolution control panel. When it does flicker on, it looks good and it's in full color.

So then I got creative and tried the component out 480i SDTV setting instead of any of the composite outs. It worked, and the TV looks great except for one problem; it's in black and white since I can only use one component out cable. With this, I can use the 720x480 or 640x480 settings perfectly. The only refresh rates available to me seem to be 29hz and 30hz, neither of which seem to make a difference.

So my question is: How can I get my TV working using the normal composite out settings? Any help would be great, watching movies in black and white is cool, but full color would be awesome.

Relevant Specs:
Windows 7 Release Client
EVGA Geforce 9800GTX w/ 1gb RAM (1 s-video out, 2 DVI)
All video drivers up to date

Sound is working, as I have the red/white cables hooked up to my headphone jack, so disregard those.
Closed Thread