Trouble recognizing second hard drive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Trouble recognizing second hard drive.

Hello all,

I recently bought a 250 gig hard drive. I was previously running a 40 gig. I am trying to run the 450 as the slave, and the 40 as the main. When I have the 40 gig hooked up to the ribbon cable as master, and the 250 hooked up as slave, neither are recognized. When I only hook up the 40 gig it boots fine. When I only hook up the 250 gig it boots as far as it will go. (there is no os on it.) Any help is greatly appriciated!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Have you tried to place the 250Gig as the master and the 40Gig as the slave? Product should come with the ribbon for the master and slave hook up.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it is not uncommon for issues like this to happen when using a new and an older hdd. try the 250gb drive as the secondary master and that should solve your problems
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

make sure the jumpers are set correctly, so they're not both master, or both slave. jumpers override the cable position, unless they're set to "cable select"
Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hello, thanks for all your replies.

I tried switching the jumpers around again, and setting them both as masters. Right now, two masters are recognized as being connected in the bios. However, I am getting a HDD error on the same screen that detects the hard drive. So basically, the bios are now saying something is hooked up, but not recognizing what it is. Could this mean I need to update my bios? Is it a problem with the hard drive its self? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

remove the jumper totally from the slave and try it that way
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well, there is no slave right now, its two masters. I did what nite stick said, and that worked as far as the bios awknolaging that two hdds are set up. But when the bios displays the make and model of the 40 gig, it fails to find that information for the 250 gig. It instead just reads hdd error. Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'll explain exactly what is happening

as I load up I see this

Auto-detect pri master: ide hard drive
Auto-detect pri slave: not detected
Auto-detect sec master: ide hard drive
Auto-detect sec slave: not detected

information about first hard drive is here, at the end it says status ok

sec master hdd error

Closed Thread