Trouble with PSU - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Trouble with PSU

My desktop computer (thankfully not my main one) will not power on. I think there's a problem with the power supply; the light goes on in the back of the computer when I plug it in, but if I press the power button the light goes off. It has the newer-style power button (no reset). I take this to mean that the PSU is dead, but before I get a new one, are there any tricks or ideas I could use to revitalize the computer?

There is one other option I have. I have an older computer lying around that has the same connector as the broken one and has more wattage. However, it's a Dell. I've heard stories about how they have proprietary power supplies, and I think it might have one of them. I've heard plugging a standard PSU into a Dell like that will cause damage; will it cause damage to plug the Dell PSU into another computer?

Thanks for helping.

Specs:
Intel Pentium 3 @ 866
256mb RAM
40+120gb HDD
DVD Burner and CD Burner
Old PSU was standard HP, ~130 watts

EDIT: I was searching online, and found this PSU. Is this a good choice? It's more than double the wattage than the one I have now, so it should power everything fine.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

you can jump start the current psu by using a paper clip and connecting the green wire and a black one next to it.

just disconnect the mobo connector (see pic) and connect the 2, if it powers on, it might still be good. but if the light turns off when u hit the button there might be a short somewhere making the fuse go, and when you unplug it, it resets(maybe). for the dell psu, make sure all the wires look the same and go to the same places on the connector. if they do, try it, if they dont, then dont try it.

EDIT: whoa, if ur psu wattage is that low, what parts u got in the system? how many hdd's/cd/fans/etc...u got?

EDIT: n/m read ur post again, yea the system is underpowered a lil, 2 hdd's, 2 cd/s + all the stuff for the mobo/cpu etc. the one thing about oem psu's is that they are designed with just enough wattage tu run the stuff that comew with it, usually one hdd, and a couple cd's.

Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 12-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

When I plug the cable into the PSU the little light on the back of it turns on, but each time I put the paper clip into those holes the light shuts off - nothing else happens, no fans or anything. It doesn't work when I plug it back in either.
("Media Center" Desktop) Athlon X2 4000+ / 4gb RAM / nVidia 9400 / 250GB + 2TB HDD / Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

Then most likely the psu is shot if it won't even turn on by the paperclip. as i said above, just compare the plugs from the dell psu and ur current one, and make sure the wires are the same. mine might be different, but i drew a little pic. just ignore the paperclip thing, i drew it before you replied.

EDIT: just comparing the pic to all of my other psu's and every one of em is different from eachother, wire color wize, weird. they all work in every pc ive tried too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (27.8 KB, 44 views)
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Closed Thread