Trouble with new hard drive setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowri

Solid State Member
So here's the deal:

I'm installing a new HD to replace my old one. They're both SATA, and are about the same size.

I install the drive, and then get stuck at the Post screen. The keyboard will be lit up, but my computer doesn't accept the command to boot from CD.

Sometimes the DVD drive will be reluctant to open up, so I have to use the release hole. This was true even after I switched DVD drives to one that I know works.

I checked BIOs:
-It is set to boot from CD 1st, and HD 2nd.
-The hard drive is detected
-The CD drive is detected

Things I have tried:

-I've switched keyboards
-I've switched dvd drives
-I've switched back to my old HD (it works perfectly)
-I reordered the new HD, assuming it was defective. Same problem with the new one.

Specs

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

GeForce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3

Thermaltake W0101RU 550W ATX 12V 2.0 Version SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6400

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB ram

SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C

new HD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

What is going on?

I want to think that this is some sort of power issue. My apartment is old and sucky, and I have trouble with my DVD drives on both computers.

Thanks.

Is the new hard drive the same make and model as the old one ? I assume not the same model, though, because a newer one would most likely have more storage space. But I can't assume this. Am I close ? What are the particulars, in other words. Going by what you have put in your post, I can just ask, have you have tried updating drivers for the new drive ? There might be an update at the manufacturer's web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom