Trouble deleting from External disc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Trouble deleting from External disc

I have data on a Maxtor 160 gig external drive - not one touch. I deleted my old images from it just as you would any drive, but it won't return the space. The utility that tells me how much free space says it is still there, but when I look at it with explorer it says the files are not there.

I've rebooted endlessly, unplugged it from the electricity and computer overnight. I've also tried to "wipe" it.

What have I done wrong, and how do I fix it??? Any suggestions?

Incidentally, it did NOT have to be installed. It was found as new hardware and came new out of the box with no installation disc necessary. The one page manual doesn't address the problem, and I can't find information on this problem addressed anywhere on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Trouble deleting from External disc

Go to control panel> Adminnistrative Tools> Computer Management > Disk Drives and then find the drive and reformat the drive using the full space as NTFS. You can also see if there are multiple partitions on that drive for some unexpanable reason. It is absent any usable data, right?

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Trouble deleting from External disc

Thank you. That worked perfectly, and the disc accepted new data.

I would still like to know if I deleted incorrectly to cause this problem. If this is how it truly works, then I need to rethink my strategy for storing images of my C:/ drive. Sometimes when things look too easy, it's because they Again, thanks.

Closed Thread