Trouble deleting from External disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipperwood

Beta member
I have data on a Maxtor 160 gig external drive - not one touch. I deleted my old images from it just as you would any drive, but it won't return the space. The utility that tells me how much free space says it is still there, but when I look at it with explorer it says the files are not there.

I've rebooted endlessly, unplugged it from the electricity and computer overnight. I've also tried to "wipe" it.

What have I done wrong, and how do I fix it??? Any suggestions?

Incidentally, it did NOT have to be installed. It was found as new hardware and came new out of the box with no installation disc necessary. The one page manual doesn't address the problem, and I can't find information on this problem addressed anywhere on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Go to control panel> Adminnistrative Tools> Computer Management > Disk Drives and then find the drive and reformat the drive using the full space as NTFS. You can also see if there are multiple partitions on that drive for some unexpanable reason. It is absent any usable data, right?

Thank you. That worked perfectly, and the disc accepted new data.

I would still like to know if I deleted incorrectly to cause this problem. If this is how it truly works, then I need to rethink my strategy for storing images of my C:/ drive. Sometimes when things look too easy, it's because they are...lol. Again, thanks.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom