trouble with cold boot; difficult to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzyzx85

Beta member
Okay, I'lll try to keep this as short but thorough as possible. It might get a little long winded but I'm just trying to cover a lot.

Computer (see sig) had been working fine until maybe about 2 months ago.

First thing I noticed was the onboard LAN stopped working when I booted up one morning. I open up my computer and install my back-up LAN card.

About a month after putting in the LAN card, I noticed that the screen would turn black and the computer would be unresponsive after booting up and loading into Windows. It would load Windows, load up all the startup programs, idle, and screen would go blank. Fans are still running but I noticed the HDD activity light would stay on. I would move the mouse and hit the scroll lock key with no response. I would usually get past this by hitting the restart button and it would work fine, booting up normally. I went about doing this for about the past month or so.

Recently, it's been getting harder to get it to boot into Windows. The same thing would happen (load into Windows and blank out) but when I go to restart it, it occasionally won't POST. I would have to hold the power button before it goes off. It may take me 5 or 6 time, holding the power button so that it would go off and so I could restart it. Once again, I noticed that when it hangs, the HDD activity light stays on. I checked and scanned the HD on my friend's computer and it's fine.

When I started my winter break a few weeks ago, I swapped my mobo with my friend's mobo. Same exact model mobo and I'm still having the same problems. Onboard LAN doesn't work and hard to start.

I got a "PCI IRQ" error while POSTing the other day and more recently, a "HD not detected" error message (when the HD was connected), also while POSTing.

My more computer-savvy friends and I are currently out of ideas. I've searched this forum and got some answers that it maybe the power supply. I purchased an Antec TruePower 2 550W two years ago and I'm hoping that's not it.

I'm currently thinking of parting out this computer and getting a new Core 2 Duo system, but I'm hoping I can fix this problem and save some money.

Please help.

Thanks.

I seem to remember having a similar problem about 3 years ago. I had the fan die in my power supply, and I figured it should be replaced, and then when I came back from a 3 month trip in europe, it was doing funny stuff like that. So, I replaced my PSU, and we all lived happily ever after.

Sorry I can't really be more of a help :\

If you have any off board cards trying pulling them one by one and see if that makes a difference I had a problem with a video card that was giving my PC a post error. And would not boot properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom