Trouble with ASUS board/dvd drive & SATA drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1ex 655321

Beta member
Hi, thanks for looking at my problem.
I just built a new (my 1st build ) computer and am having trouble booting with my hard drive and dvd drive. Here what has been happening.

It starts up, showing the motherboard graphic
Then says the BIOS is Initializing...

Then it displays 2 messages on the screen saying this...
(The |'s indicated where the screen cuts off)

|pter 1
|ks Information:
| No hard disk is detected!
|
|pter 2
|ks Information:
| No hard disk is detected!

Then goes on to the next screen and says...

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I put my windows vista install DVD in my dvd drive and pressed a key but the message just repeats.

Im going to try and provide as much info as I can on the problem, please bear with me! :p

----------------------------------------------------------
First off, links to my hardware:

ASUS board
ASUS DVD-ROM (I bought this a while back for my old computer and it was working recently)
SATA drive

-----
First let me explain everything I've done with the SATA drive and board.

On the board there are 3 boxes to connect to, on the layout on the manual they are called SATA13 (for SATA1 and 2), SATA24 (3 and 4) and SATA_RAID. Initially I had connected the HD to the SATA1 connection in the SATA13 box and recieved the double No Hard Disk Is Detected! messaged during startup. I decided to connect it to the SATA_RAID box (I tried both connections in it) just to see if anything changes and instead of the 2 messaged I got the first one and the 2nd one would say the drive name.

But when I entered the BIOS no SATA drives we're being detected and there was still no solution.

The drive is connected and I can hear it spinning when I turn it all on so I dont know whats happening there.

-----
Now for the DVD-ROM

No matter what I try I cant get the Vista DVD to boot up.

I thought the drive was being detected but now I am thinking maybe it is not, because in the BIOS under the boot order list there is always my SATA drive and then an ATAPI CD-ROM. I assumed it was my drive I had connected but even when I disconnected it it was still on the list so I have no idea what the heck that is.

There was only 1 connection on the motherboard for the drive and it is the Primary IDE connection so thats what im using.

As for connecting the drive I first used the IDE cable provided with the board connected in the right way and even moved the jumper pin on the back of the drive in ever position with no change. Then I tried connecting it with an old IDE cable (had thicker wires..so a slower version?) that I had previously used with the drive from my old computer, again no detection in the bios and no dvd start up.

I also tried both IDE wires with an old DVD drive that I thought was broken (but tried anyways) and again no detection in the bios, just the same ATAPI CD-ROM in the boot list.

------------

I cant think of anything else to try or do, this is all so new to me and im in over my head. I pray somebody out there might have a solution :confused:

Please let me know what you all think, I would appreciate it so so much! THANK YOU FOR READING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom