Tried installing processor cooling.. causing problems!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobiasss

Beta member
I hope someone can suggest what might have happened to my PC and why I can get no further than the Press f12 for setup, press delete for BIOS screen.

I have an Acer T180 that I have had for around 3 years now, it has an Athlon 3800+ Dual Core processor. Everything in it is stock apart from some extra RAM I added a while ago.

Recently the Processor fan has been getting really noisy so I decided to replace and was recommended an Arctic Cooling system Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, AM2, All Sempron, Athlon 64 to 5000+, to FX -59, Opteron which I then bought.

I installed the cooling system only to then realise it uses a 4 prong connection to the motherboard, not a 3 prong which my previous fan had.

I noticed that the 4 prong connector would fit onto the 3 prongs on the motherboard so (very stupidly) I decided to turn it on and see what would happen.

The machine turned on, the cooling unit turned briefly then stopped and it wouldn't let me get past the BIOS/Setup screen. I've tried 2 keyboards, neither USB, and with both, the PC did not seem to register my keypresses (f12 or Delete).

I have since re-installed the old fan and the problem is still there.

I know it's not a problem wit the keyboards, and the PC does seem to tick over 3 times like it's trying it start when I turn it on but it still doesn't get past the BIOS/Setup screen.

Any help would be really appreciated.

That shouldn't have caused any issue. The 4 pin means it has rpm sensor... or is it a control.

Make sure you didn't unplug Any of the psu cables that are around the cpu.

Yea, check and see if all connections are ok. If everything is connected and looks fine, try and reset CMOS.

Thanks Guys, I had a fiddle inside, tried some different things without concentrating on the fan and it seems like the problem (completely unrelated) was caused by a stick of RAM. When I take it out of the machine it runs fine, put it back in and I get the same problems.

It is a PWM type... That is the reason you have four prongs... And it can matter, Intel used to be one of the only ones that used these types of fans, but a lot of newer AMD systems also use them, but plugging them in backwards, can cause issues with the motherboard or fan. As long as the red/black/white are plugged in and the fourth wire is left out, you should be ok with the new cooler.

Also, it sounds as if you discharged some static into the RAM module... Did you properly ground or self to the case of the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom