Transferring Data from Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmile91

Beta member
So an old laptop of mine died a while ago, and I decided I would take the hard drive out to try and recover the memory. I am unsure, however, of what device I need to purchase in order to transfer the data from the hard drive to a host computer. I was hoping something like this would work: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more did purchase a dual hard drive docking station by Black Widow (Welcome to Thermaltake), because I was told by a best buy worker that it would get the job done. (It says all standard 2.5" and 3.5" SATA Hard drives. While the hard drive fit into the enclosure, the area where the pins would connect in the enclosure was to small. In other words, the hard drives pins were too big (by a fair amount I would say) If it helps. the hard drive reads Momentus 5400.4 hp 200gb. I'm sorry if anything is incomplete/incorrect, as I am not very familiar with computer hardware. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So an old laptop of mine died a while ago, and I decided I would take the hard drive out to try and recover the memory. I am unsure, however, of what device I need to purchase in order to transfer the data from the hard drive to a host computer. I was hoping something like this would work: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more did purchase a dual hard drive docking station by Black Widow (Welcome to Thermaltake), because I was told by a best buy worker that it would get the job done. (It says all standard 2.5" and 3.5" SATA Hard drives. While the hard drive fit into the enclosure, the area where the pins would connect in the enclosure was to small. In other words, the hard drives pins were too big (by a fair amount I would say) If it helps. the hard drive reads Momentus 5400.4 hp 200gb. I'm sorry if anything is incomplete/incorrect, as I am not very familiar with computer hardware. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Use this USB 2.0 2.5" SATA HARD DISK DRIVE CASE Enclosure Black | eBay

Also once you have it enclosed and ready hook it up to your computer and let windows detech it.
Let windows run a scan on it to make sure nothing is wrong with it, after that open up your hdd.
If it denies, allow windows to take ownership of it, and you may access your documents and take what you need.

Can you post a pic of the pin connector end of the drive? The link you posted for the drive shows that it is a "normal" 2.5" SATA drive which should fit in the dock. I suspect there is an adapter on the drive to adapt it to connect to the laptop internals that needs to be removed (should just pull off).

thanks for the replies guys. Yes I had taken off the case, but there was an adapter over the pins which made it unable to fit into that Black Widow duet driver. I'm going to head back to BestBuy tomorrow and pick it up, just so I do not have to wait for an online order. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom