Transfer files to another HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonz358

Baseband Member
Can I transfer my files from one hard drive to another without a windows vista cd or anything I would have to buy online?

I have a new hard drive(not sata) that's completely empty(desktop hard drive) and holds more space then the one im using now so is there a way to put the data from the drive im using now to the new one?

Yes.

I don't know what you're trying to copy though, you can only really do that with loose files like music, videos, text files etc.

If you want to copy your operating system and installed programs and such over to the new HDD so that it is exactly the same as your current, you'll need to make an image of the drive with a program like Ghost.

Yes.

I don't know what you're trying to copy though, you can only really do that with loose files like music, videos, text files etc.

If you want to copy your operating system and installed programs and such over to the new HDD so that it is exactly the same as your current, you'll need to make an image of the drive with a program like Ghost.

and if I do that would I have to burn it to a cd?

No, Ghost requires you to put both HD's in the system and it make a exact copy, Only problem is it will make it a Partition the same size as the old HD, so you will have another drive letter for the rest of the space. Why don't you just add the second HD to your system and have the space of both HD's. Keep windows on the original and install any other programs on the second and it will help bootup times also without all the other programs on the same HD.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom