transfer data from laptop hard drive to external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicitator72

Beta member
my macbook pro is currently our of commission due to a mishap with a cup of water. the person i spoke to on the phone at the apple store said to have the hard drive transferred to an external one in case they need to reformat it. is this even possible if my laptop won't turn on?

Depends on the type of water damage has been done.
If your laptop has been a small puddle of water for a little bit of time, yes it will mess up your hdd's connectors and possibly damage it.
If the water spill was like a splash on the keyboard and quickly cleaned up, you have a good chance of the hdd working.
Just depends on what got damaged badly enough for something not to turn on for quite awhile.

Also get rid of that macbooks battery, I have a bad feeling it might not work with your macbook anymore.

Quite easy to find out if you know your way around a laptops internals... just take the HDD cover off the bottom and unscrew the HDD, Slide it out and plonk it into one of these:

Dynamode USB-HD2.5 Storage enclosure- Serial ATA-150

Plug it into another computer and copy / move all ur old data, then replace the HDD

Just noticed its a mac your talking about... :S iv never even touched a mac, so i dunno if its the same lol

Take the hdd out of the laptop and hook it up to your desktop as a secondary hdd. boot and transfer your files.

If you hook it up properly and you can't view the hdd right click my computer go manage -> disk management -> if the disk isn't listed it is likely that your hdd is dead.

Also remember that the file system on a mac is not the same as the file system on windows so you will not be able to view the drive in "my computer" if you hook it up to a pc.

If you aren't able to transfer your data to another hdd, just bring your laptop to the apple store and they should be able to help you with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom