Tower proximity to floor speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
I have 2 floor speakers with 12" bass drivers. They are older and not the highest quality, so the magnets arent "too massive", but still large enough to cause concern. It might be a silly question but will they cause any harm to my tower? Logically it makes sense that it would interfere at least with the hard drive. Am i wrong in my assumption? Thanks!

Depends on how large the field is, and if you move the HDD through the field. Magnetic media can usually with stand a magnet going directly at it, but if it moves even slightly across a field, it will throw things off.

Best way to see if the field would mess with your HDD, is to put an old CRT near the speakers and move it around a bit, if the color in your picture changes, then you need to work up a shield, or think of placing the tower somewhere else.
How can you shield a magnet?
http://www.mushield.com/raw_materials.shtml

Mine are like.. a foot away and I haven't had any problems :tongue:

Depends on how strong the magnets are fargle, not all speakers use the same magnet. ;) I have a sub that will distort a TV from 7 foot away, and would most certainly cause damage to a HDD.

I like to think mine are strong :cry: They're like 30 (going on 40.. oh wow!) years old.. probably a little worn out :tongue:

Only time a good magnet will loose it's field is if it gets dropped, dropping them actually causes the particles to re-align and actually putting another magnet beside it in opposite direction, in the end it makes the field a bit weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom