toshiba laptop monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwell

Solid State Member
a friend of mine gave me a laptop with a [sort of] non-working monitor and an identicle laptop he got off ebay wanting me to move the ram, hard drive and cdrom from the old one to the new one. (when i say "sort of", i mean that it's dim - real dim. sometimes, if it sits for a while with no battery or ac, you'll get a monitor til the desktop then abruptly goes barely-visible dim.) when i moved the hd, ram, cdrom to the one off ebay, it did the exact same thing. an external monitor (crt on vga port) would work if i booted to an xp cd and, sometimes, in safe mode. i tried booting to a disc w/o the hd in in case the hd was the problem but, still, only the external monitor. once, in safe mode, i checked the display driver and there were two, one ending in 1 and the other, the same but ending in 0. for all i know, that's normal for laptops but i disabled one anyway. after that, it would kick on the external monitor booting normally into windows but the laptop monitor was still barely visible. this behavior applies to both laptops. sometimes the laptop monitor would come on bright then disappear and sometimes not at all. the laptops are toshiba satellites with 1.2 ghz processors so i'm guessing about five years old. one's a 1200 and the other 1200-s121. anyone know why i'm getting this monitor behavior from both laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom