Toshiba External HDD trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchan05

In Runtime
I have a Toshiba External HDD with about 400GB capacity. However I'm having a little trouble with it. It seems to have broken and orphan files in it, but scanning it with MalwareBytes or the built-in Disk Checker in Windows makes the application hang. They just stop scanning afer a while. Any help on how to clean the thing?

Even if I can watch movies and access it without trouble there is mechanical trouble?

Also is it really bad to leave these things connected to a computer indefinitely?

It can still access data, yes. Being that It can't read some files, It may get worse overtime.

There is nothing wrong with leaving an external hard drive connected to the computer indefinitely. I have my WD MyBook Essentials 320GB external connected to my computer since I got it ~3 years ago. Still runs like a champ.

Ok, basically there's nothing in it that i wouldnt mind to lose. except for my movie collection, although I did get a warning a week ago about needing to format the thing before this started to happen. I am not sure but could it be that the HDD used on 2 PCs with different OS (Win7 and Vista) have an effect. I remember when I first used my phone memory card on Win7. the OS somehow did something with the card and the Vista laptop and my phone couldnt recognize it until I formatted it on Win7.

So also, last night I noticed it going slow, and the light staying on the icon (on the HDD) that looked like a printer printing paper and not on the floppy drive looking icon. Data transfer works when the light goes to the drive icon, but stops when it goes to the printer icon. If I leave it a while, it will go to the drive icon.

So basically, I'll be slowly transferring my files onto my computers, except for my movies that I will burn into CDs. Both computers dont have enough storage left combined to take on 300gb of files and leave enough free space as buffer IMO (I keep at least 50gb free, just my quirk, and I'll format the HDD.

I think I'll have the people at Toshiba look at it anyway, my laptop is due for a motherboard change (hardware caused boot up error, my sister spilled coke on it...good thing it still works) next week anyway, the new board already arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom