Toshiba DVD-RW Driving me nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarukun

Beta member
Here's the scoop; a couple of months after I bought my DVD-RW, it stopped reading some DVDs. Everything goes in fine, but instead of the little light flashing a few times and going dark, it gets stuck in the "reading" position, and it just goes nowhere after that. Music CDs are no problem. I talked to Toshiba, and they suggested I get a DVD Lens cleaner but, ha-ha, turns out the lens cleaner is on, you guessed it, a DVD, which my computer won't read to begin the cleaning process. I did get something useful out of Toshiba, however; turns out the DVD and CD reading functions use seperate lazers, although they use the same lens. could it be there's something wrong with the actual DVD lazer itself, and not the lens?

Worth noting, I recently fired up Star Craft, which to the best of my knowledge is on a CD, however, I noticed that the music and often times the spoken dialogue during mission briefings would skip, which to me sounds like a dirty lens, but I'm sort of grasping at straws here. Is there anyway I can for the drive to spin and just hope the lens happens to line up with the cleaner, or should I just send the thing to Fort Worth and have them open it up? Keep in mind, I live in Japan, so if I can avoid sending it to Fort Worth, that'd be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom