Torn headset wire.. how do I attach ends again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyHelmet

Beta member
So umm.. I kind of tripped on my headset wire and tore it in two pieces... the middle volume control and such is lost, but I don't care much about that. What I have on each side of the cut though is the following:

http://aditya.hey.nu/images/wire_endings.jpg

What seems like two black wires is actually part of the same wire. I had to pull em apart to take the plastic covering off each of them. The other ends on the other piece (leading to the audio jack) looks exactly the same.

The picture is a bit blurry since my camera had trouble focussing. Does anyone know how to attach something like this? I tried just twisting the corresponding wires on the other piece of wire (that leads to the jack) but that didn't work. Would soldering the corresponding wires work better or are these some special sort of wires?

The headset model is Altec Lansing AHS502.

Thanks,
Aditya

The side with more wires is most likely associated with the volume control, so you'll have to rule-out one of those wires. I would think that the wires of the same color would pair up. However, all you have to do is touch the wires together and see if the music plays. The quality is going to suck, now, though, unless you do a good solder job.

As for the pic, the camera's AF cannot focus on such a narrow object because it is too small for its "eye" to see. Unless you hold it perfectly in the line of sight for the AF, it's not going to ever focuss on that.

Your options are to either put the wires down on a background that the camera can focus in on, or manually focuss the camera (I wouldn't suggest this without a tripod of some sort).

I was just not sure what do because the thinner (3 wires) had some sort of fiber around them. I guess I will try soldiering them together when I get home...

Any idea what the fibers could be for though?

Structural reinforcement for the wire and insulation.

I would just twist the ends together first before you do any soldering. Just to make sure you have the right ones connected the right way.

ah ok. The fibers were annoyingly strong now that I think about it. It took me several cuts with a blade to cut em. It was like magic the first time I tried to cut em. They just wrapped around the blade....

i've repaired a headphone jack once before. I had to cut all the plastic off of the jack and resolder the wires directly to it.
quality wasn't bad after but you have to do it well and with new solder/flux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom