Timers, Games, EVERYTHING too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkels

Beta member
Hi folks, I've got this very very bizarre problem with my desktop computer that I built about a few years ago, hoping I can maybe get some help here. I've tried asking around a few other places, but can't seem to locate any real help. It's been a persistant problem that I've always had with this computer, but just recently it's causing my troubles and I'm looking to fix it.

I don't know if the specs of my pc are really important for this problem, but I'll list them anyways:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 ghz
Mobo: Asus P5N32-E SLI
Ram: 4 gigs, OCZ DDR2 800
Hard Drive: 320g western digital sata
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS

Alright well that's the basic stuff most people ask for, now here's the details of the problem:

Everything runs too quickly on this computer. What do I mean by "too quickly"? I've installed a few Stopwatch programs on my computer to test this, against a physical stopwatch that I hold in my hand. I can start the timer on the computer, and the timer in my hand at the same time (give or take a few hundredths of a second, human error) and the PC stopwatch program will slowly begin to pull ahead of the hand held stopwatches. The discrepency becomes more noticeable the longer the stopwatches are allowed to run. The PC stopwatch creeps ahead by a minute, then two, then eventually it is just way off.

To make sure that my handheld stopwatch was not too slow, for some reason, I installed the SAME stopwatch programs on my laptop, and again, ran them against the PC stopwatch programs. Same result. After about 30 minutes, the timer program on my PC would read somewhere around 35 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less, but always quite a bit ahead of the laptop timers.

The time when this problem mainly comes up when I'm playing online games. My characters run faster than everyone else's. If I run side by side with another player on an online game, I will slowly but surely pass them up, because I run faster than I should. Now, some might think this is a nice advantage (I surely did), but recently when trying to play a newer online game, the servers are detecting that I'm running too quickly. This causes my characters to forcibly teleport back to where they would be if they were moving at normal speed, and makes the game basically unplayable for me. There's also risks of me being banned because they may think I'm using some sort of speed exploit.

Well, that's the basic summary of my problem. It seems like somehow, somewhere in my system, everything is being ran too quickly! Seconds are counted down too quickly, animations in games are run too quickly, etc.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. The only advice I've received so far was that I may have a defective CPU or something, and it's somehow causing things to run too fast. I really have no idea, so anything you throw at me is welcomed.

This has to be a first for TF. I don't think I've ever seen a thread about someones PC running too fast.

Perhaps download, install and run some benchmarking programs to see what your results are. Then compare them to systems that are equivalent to yours.

No offense, but this seems more like a joke than anything else.

This sounds like COD4 where you get specific edges when you better FPS.

I guess for the game problem you could try downclocking your GPU and CPU or downgrading it completely or if the game has a FPS game cap, try to keep it low or enable VSync

My mom's laptop clock did that.. After resetting it it stays the same for about 3 mins then gains a couple seconds, eventually ends up being 30-40 mins faster. Always thought it was a cleverly designed virus/bug or something. As for online it could just be lagg.

Actually the system clock never ends up off, it only seems to happen when running programs as far as I can tell.

I've heard people say it might be lag when playing online games, and that sounds reasonable except that it happens for things online OR offline (like the stopwatch programs)

I lived with this problem for about two years, never really complained about it because it always seemed like pure advantage to me, until this most recent game I've tried to play.

I'll try some downclocking like someone mentioned, see if that makes any difference at all. I *have* messed with my clocking a little bit before to see if it was the cause, but many people have told me there's NO way that overclocking should cause online gameplay to be faster...maybe "smoother" but not my specific problem, because that would just be unfair if that was how things worked.

Well thanks for the advice so far, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I wish I had some spare parts sitting around that I could swap out to see if one eliminates the problem :p

if its too fast when it concerns programs i used to get this problem with older programs it used to really annoy me on games like postal,

something to try is assigning the program to one core instead of two that helped me in a few cases you can do that from task manager.

You can also change the priority of the task by right clicking the process in Task Manager and put the priority lower; also you can drop the Processor Affinity to 1 so it only uses one core.

You can manually downclock in the BIOS if needed (your CPU does do speedstep, but that goes off when you put a CPU intensive application on)

I've heard actually that if the game is running on both cores you can/will move faster in games, it happened to a lot of people in HaloPC but that still doesn't explain why a stop watch program is running faster..

There used to be a trainer for a FPS called Delta Force 2 that sped you up in the game (online and off) and had similar effects to your overall computer, the stop watch test would pertain to this. But that was YEARS ago...just reminded me of it is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom