Thought The Problem Was Over... Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdncktodd

Solid State Member
I posted here a couple of days ago outlining the problem I have been having with my computer

Here is a link to read about it: problems

Well it got narrowed down to that I needed a new graphics card, so I went out and bought a EVGA Geforce 6600GT, and that pretty much fixed the problems.

Well today I get up to get ready for class and use my computer as usual and everything is fine. I come home to find a black screen. Computer is still on, so I move mouse, push some keys thinking it may be in standby mode, but no, nothing. So I restart it.

Once again, the computer boots up, gets to the windows loading screen and then the screen goes black. Now I'm thinking maybe it is the video cable or the monitor itself. Change cables and monitors and still same problem.

What is happening is that the video card is not sending a signal to the monitor because right after the windows logon screen goes away a "No Signal" appears on the monitor and basically it shuts itself off. (By the way this is a LCD 19in hooked up through DVI and yes I tried the regular analog just to make sure its not the DVI)

So whats the problem, can't possibly be a hardware problem as I'm getting the same results with a brand new video card. Everything else works on the computer as usual. The short time that it was working correctly after I put in the new video card, everything worked A-OK. So what could it be? Please help!

Using whatever the new drivers were on the Nvidia website. I believe they are dated for sometime in October.

But if it is a driver issue, how can I get my screen to show my windows and stuff, so I can possibly fix it.

This is a brand new PSU, was just installed this past week as I thought that is what initially screwed up my old video card. It is a pcpowercooling turbo 425 watts.

This is a dell computer and their bios doesn't give out that kind of information... unless I'm missing something

Just booted into windows safe mode just fine. What is the problem here. I can boot into safe mode but not regular windows?

Edit: After I booted into safe mode, I uninstalled the drivers, and of course, windows booted up like normal as it did before...

rdncktodd said:
This is a brand new PSU, was just installed this past week as I thought that is what initially screwed up my old video card. It is a pcpowercooling turbo 425 watts.

This is a dell computer and their bios doesn't give out that kind of information... unless I'm missing something

Just booted into windows safe mode just fine. What is the problem here. I can boot into safe mode but not regular windows?

What model of dell is? Dimension what?
It's not the PSU if it's the PCP&C turbo-cool 425... I have that same PSU from my last dimension 8300 and it's in my current custom built system running like a champ...

Did you happen to uninstall all display drivers and software for your first old video card first? Before install the new card and drivers?
If not, sometimes this causes conflicts and the problem your having is usual the reason.

Also some of the newer Dell motherboards use a lighting diagnostic system on the rear I/O panel. When there is a problem with the motherboard or other components, light codes can give you an idea where to start looking...

What model number is your Dell , i'll find the diagnostic light chart for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom