thinking my cpu is done for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSXmike

In Runtime
after some troubleshooting... it all seems to point to the cpu...

at first i was having troubles with my computer freezing up, so i reformatted... still had the same problem... got fustrated and bought a new hdd, formatted that, and still get freezing...

tested both sticks of ram... both are fine...

and whats been happening now is itll freeze and a few seconds later ill get a beep code (high, low, high, low, etc.)

did some searching and came up with this: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

should i try reseating the cpu? thats the only thing i havent tried yet... i know its not over heating, or has been over heated in the past...

i should dig out my cpu box and see if i got the warrenty or not...

anyone have any insight?

Hey

Well It could be the power supply.That is a big cause of freeze ups.How far does it get before it locks up.I would reseat the CPU first and make sure you have thermal paste on it to keep it cool. Also if you have thermal paste on it is it clean and not all over the place. I think usually if the CPU is bad it wont even boot.Ive never heard of a CPU being bad but working a little.It either works or is dead.Well good luck...

is there a way of testing the psu, with out swapping another in? i dont have any exrtras around

i used arctic silver to mount the hs to the cpu... you only use like a pea sized dot, right?

Hi

On the Psu you need a volt ohm tester to check the tolerance of the output of the main plug to the Motherboard.There are some testers out there that are cheep.As for the artic silver your right just a dot is all you need.Too bad you dont have a extra PSu lying around it makes it much easer...

well.. i reset the cpu and the heatsink and cleaned and reapplied some arctic silver 5...

ill start her up tomorrow and see what happens...

It might also be whatever you're using to cool it. If so, what you've done already should fix it. Good luck!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom