Thermal compound questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
As I am sure you are aware thermal compounds are insane expensive. For just about a squirt or 2, there gores $5-12 bucks. I could probably sneeze more then they put into one of those little tubes. For us builders I'd like to find 1. Something cheaper or whole sale and 2. If there are any home made concoctions I could conjure up which would meet or exceed regular thermal compound.

No "home made" methods will work. You can buy huge jars of low end thermal paste, but it's not recommended for newer processors because the heat needs to xfer faster than in the old days. Anymore manufactures use heatsinks/paste supplied by the processor manufactures.

This isn't cheap? Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

And if you use the paste correctly, all you need is a very small dab. About the size of a grain of rice. One tube could easily last you 10 applications.

Exactly, every time I get tuniq or nowadays this:
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

It will last for 3 shots maintenance for a cpu which means 2 quarter seasons during the year if I'm lucky.
Since I manage 4 computers in the house with other hardware I have enough to go around.

But when you mess up, you'll be back online getting another if your not carefull.

@joec: I thought my old krusty dell mouse like the stuff, it liked the 4wd I give it when it becomes hard like steel... :(

j/k with you joe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom