Is there a way to test your SATA controller? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Is there a way to test your SATA controller?

ASUS P5QL Pro Motherboard, dual booting Ubuntu 9.04 + Vista Ultimate on a 500gb hard drive. There are also 3 other SATA drives (for backup purposes) in the system.

I have 6 SATA ports on my board. I have my drives plugged into ports 1 2 3 4 accordingly. Every now and then I was getting an error when booting. These errors are in relation to the Linux boot loader known as Grub.

The errors were:

# 16 : "Device string unrecognizable"
This error is returned if a device string was expected, and the string encountered didn't fit the syntax/rules listed in the Filesystem Description.

# 18 : "Invalid or unsupported executable format"
This error is returned if the kernel image boing loaded is not recognized as Multiboot or one of the supported native formats (Linux zImage or bzImage, FreeBSD, or NetBSD).
ormat is a special case and can be handled since it has a fixed loading address and maximum size.

# 22 : "Must load Multiboot kernel before modules"
This error is returned if the module load command is used before loading a Multiboot kernel. It only makes sense in this case anyway, as GRUB has no idea how to communicate the presence of location of such modules to a non-Multiboot-aware kernel.

It seemed to alternate between these 3 Grub errors and I was not sure why. What seemed to help was unplugging my 3 backup drives, booting to my 1 single drive with no others plugged in, powering off, and plugging in my 3 backup drives again. Then it'd be fine for a while. I just did that and the BIOS did not pick up the drive in port 1 (which was the only drive plugged in). It simply said not detected.

Note - I flashed the BIOS 3 days ago to the newest updated version ASUS has on their web site.

When I tried to boot to the single drive anyway with no backup drives plugged in, I got a drive saying "Insert proper media boot device and press enter" or something of that nature. As I said, the BIOS didn't find my main drive when it was the only one plugged in, so I'm not sure what the scoop is there.

Anyway, I moved my drives from SATA ports 1 2 3 4 to 3 4 5 6. I rebooted several times and it "seems" as if things are smoother now. BIOS picks up all 4 drives, no errors when I reboot, etc.

I'm curious... is there a way I can test the actual SATA controller or SATA ports on my motherboard? I'm tempted to buy a new board but I don't just want to go buying things I may not need.

Any advice?

EDIT - This is BS. I just decided I would hook up my computer the old way it was so I could try and troubleshoot it more. I plugged in my drives just like they were hooked up before into ports 1 2 3 4. BIOS is set to boot to the proper drive accordingly. Everything is exactly how it was before.

I just rebooted the system a dozen times. It is working flawlessly now. DJFKASJD?FKLAJSDFKLJASDFKLASD
Closed Thread