Is there a way to test if a motherboard is 100% working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have an ASUS P5QL Pro motherboard, along with 500gb SATA drive. It dual boots Vista/Ubuntu 9.04. I was having some issues a while back when I upgraded Ubuntu to 9.04. I was having slowness issues among other weirdness. When I installed Ubuntu, I got an error about my hard drive failing. The drive was 6 months old. So I got a new one shipped out under warranty and did my install and all was good. Now the problems are coming up again. I often get boot errors which I believe is related to grub, however yesterday was the first kicker when I thought my problem was system-wide and not just operating system secluded.

I was in Vista and certain applications were freezing, but only 1 at a time. Pidgin would work, yet firefox would freeze. Then my games would freeze and firefox would work fine. It just alternated which one was frozen.

Naturally, being a Linux fan boy I figured Vista was acting up, so I rebooted to Ubuntu. When I went to terminal to run a command, I noticed terminal looked different. I didn't see file, edit, etc at the top. I opened other menus within Ubuntu and it too was acting weird, much like Vista did.

So now I'm having very strange issues with my computer. It's not operating system dependent. It's with Vista and Ubuntu. I'm on my 2nd hard drive in less than 9 months. I ran a memtest last night for 10 hours. It did 10 passes with 0 errors.

memtest - fine
2nd new hard drive

Hmmm?

Dang, Trotter. You nailed it dead on.

I ran a Seagate Diagnostic test and my primary (dual boot) drive failed immediately. I was like LOL there's no way I blew two brand new drives in that short of time. Then I remembered what you said about the connection. Due to the spacing in my tower, I have a completely different SATA cable to my primary drive than I use for the other 3 drives cause my primary drive is the farthest away from the connections.

Swapped cables, ran the test - pass.

Imagine that?

;) Been there, done that. Experience is a rough teacher... first she gives the test, then she gives the lesson.

Glad you got it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom