Is there anyway to fix the following problems, with my entire laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanninetytwo

Beta member
***Sorry, I'm new here. So if this is in the wrong place just move it or tell me and I'll move it, thanks.***

I just got my sisters old laptop and found that she had never installed any of the windows updates on it, important or optional. I keep trying to install them and every time I do, the computer just completely freezes on the first update (I tried leaving it for 2 hours hoping they would install whilst frozen but it didn't work), or I get a blue screen with white writing and the computer restarts without installing them. Even when I try and restart the computer and install them as the computer starts up again, it just freezes and shuts down again. So I can't install any of my updates.

Originally when I got it, it wasn't working at all and froze randomly, but I managed to stop that by going on msconfig and doing a selective startup and only allowing the services provided by windows or Microsoft to run on startup (I am still doing this, otherwise the computer freezes again). I also deleted all the programmes she installed herself in case they were the faulty ones. However, now everytime I click on control panel and then uninstall a program the computer freezes again.

Loading Microsoft word also freezes up, but only Microsoft word not the whole computer. But when I run a virus checker like windows defender the whole computer freezes. I am yet to try an independent antivirus software like avira or avast though (However if I do try and update avira, I get an error message then chinese writing)

Everything else, like the internet and general running seems to go smoothly without any problems. It is a Toshiba Satellite L350-20G. She has also never created a system restore point and does not have the system restore CD (it's not on the hard drive pre-loaded either).

When i first got it, it only worked on safe mode with networking, but I have managed to get it so it works on regular mode now (By that I mean it works, but with the problems above).

Any advice for any of my problems would be greatly appreciated.

What OS is this? XP, Vista, 7?

I would say your best bet is to back up any data you want to keep, and reinstall Windows.

What OS is this? XP, Vista, 7?

I would say your best bet is to back up any data you want to keep, and reinstall Windows.

It's windows 7. I may end up buying a new laptop, but won't have the money for another few of months. So I was hoping to sort these problems out to use the laptop while I was waiting.

Your best option will be to restore it to factory settings. Hit F8 after the Toshiba BIOS splash screen and ue th option to Repair Your Computer.

They are probably right, reinstalling Windows might be your best option.

Then again, you may want to run some hardware checks on it to rule out any problem there, ya know, memtest.org and the like, and whichever factory hdd diagnostic is applicable to your brand hdd likely a toshiba so there might not be one, (or I typically use gwscan from Gateway, which is a rebranded version of Western Digital's that works on all hard drives.)

Also I would rule out viruses if you have the capability.

To track down individual problems you could check Windows event logs for specific errors / app crashes, and someone here (or myself, if you catch me on a weekday) might be able to analyze a minidump for you (created when a system blue screens)...

Good luck!

I agree with the suggestion to restore it to factory setting, but totally disagree with the suggestions to reinstall Windows. A restore to factory settings WILL included all the necessary and proprietary drivers that are unique to that notebook. Reinstalling Windows only includes generic drivers and you will have to hunt down, download and install all the correct drivers.

laptop problems

download super antispyware free edition and scan it in safe mode. see what your results are. this program is a great starting program to diagnose any problems dealing with malware. also it will show some problems with disabled options. most of the time your PC isnt infected with traditional viruses but with adware or spyware. just a helpful suggestion that should take no longer than an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom