Testing Mobo / Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBNDY

Solid State Member
Long story short, friend got a shock of electricity one day booting up her machine. Now it won't boot up.

I've since replaced the PSU, Mobo, Graphics Card, and RAM, and it still does not work.

I can see the Mobo is getting power, but when I turn the computer on, nothing happens. It seems like everything gets power, but nothing ever displays on the screen.

No beep, no display, no nothing.

I've since removed everything, and just tried powering on with a mobo and video card, and it still doesn't show anything. I thought it was supposed to display the mobo screen or something, but it doesn't do anything.

This is on the 2nd mobo, but I suppose it can be DOA. Please help / advise on what to do. I'm totally stumped.

You bought all of that and probably didn't need it. I would check the power switch and see if its working, also you might want to plug it into a different outlet.

Tried on different outlets, doesn't work.

The computer appears to power on, however nothing appears on the screen.

The LEDs for the fans come on. The temp readout on the front of the case comes on, when I power on, the GPU fan and heatsink come on, so as far as I can tell its getting power, and the power switch works.

First, im curiouse = you mean when she hit the power button... she shocked the computer?

1) if she shocked the computer / external casing, and it then failed to power on whatso ever... that means it was most likely just the PSU at fault... might have even worked if you unpluged it from the wall for a few and then plugged it back in and tryed powering up.

2)
- did you reset the Cmos on the new mothebroard?

- even if you didnt touch it, check the manual and make shur the Cmos jumper is on the proper pins... if its in the reset position it might possibly do what you describe

- If your reliable and confident in your own abilities you dont need to do this... but otherwise check and make shur the motherboard is seated properly on the risers, so its not touching any part of the Metal Case and possibly shorting out.... one time when i had a after market CPU HSF Backing plate on one of my boards, i didnt notice but it shorted one of the leads on the back of the board, and that caused the mobo to also fail to boot.

- when i put a faulty CPU into one of my motherboards, it did what you described, apears like all hardware powers on, but you get no response from the system what so ever.

EDIT: do you still have the old parts? if so... most of them are probably not faulty(if not all)... if you do have them, you can swap out parts with the old parts to cross reference witch ones might be faulty caussing the issue, if its not fixed by mentioned above.

I've reset the CMOS ( removed power and battery, switched jumper to pins 2-3 for 10 seconds, then moved back, ect ).

I've tried booting up outside the case, and it does the same thing, so I don't think the mounting is at fault.

The PSU was replaced so I don't think that could be it.

I'm making plans to have AMD replace the CPU as its one of the only things I have yet to replace. So hopefully that will fix the problem.

Unfortunately I don't have a system that is compatible with the other hardware so I cant' test it fully. Hopefully the CPU is the bad piece, and my life can start again. :p

No I cant. RMA sends that stuff back, heh. If I wanted to keep the stuff I would have built an entirely new computer. :p

next time, if your in such a situation again... dont RMA b4 you get new parts to cross reference possible defective parts... Unless of course your warranty dead line is too close.

Typically you can't get replacement parts until the company receives the defective parts first.

my bad.. i new that, i was thinking RMA in terms of returning it, but thats just a brain laps on my part.

....anyway, that doesnt sound like a good stratigy, was there no other way for you to test the comp or parts b4 RMA?

well, theres only 2 parts witch could be causing your current issue... the Mobo or the CPU.. it could be either.

once when i tested a Mobo with a bad or defective BIOS, it did what you describe

one when i tested a defective CPU, it did what you described.

those were 2 totally different situations to.

something else i would do if i were you... just for the **** of it, remove the CPU and reseat it in the motherboad, make shur its properly secured, and re-atactch the Heatsink(clean off and apply new thermal material ). then try booting up again... iv heard other stories of people who improperly seated the CPU or Heatsink witch caused issues.... so it woudlnt be saprizing at all if that fixes yoru prob aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom