Terrible Video: Motherboard issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroIgnored

Beta member
Problem:
Very poor graphics performance after major hardware upgrade.

Alright, first off, here's what I've got:

Gigabyte M55SLI-S4 - motherboard
AMD 64 FX 5600+ - CPU
nVidia 8800GTS (MSI, 320meg vram) - video
G-Shock 2 gig (2x 1gig dual channel) - RAM

Let me know if there's anything else in the way of system info. I'm pretty new with the hardware support in forums thing :)

I've just recently upgraded my system, so I put a fresh XP install on my system and booted up. Had a few problems with random restarts and odd booting sequences, but was able to fix those with a bios upgrade. So, I installed the latest nvidia 8800 drivers and then installed and ran Oblivion to see how my upgrade would improve gaming. Holy crap, I was able to load a game and, after being able to play for about half a second, the screen locks up and my displays go haywire.

I think it may be my motherboard, though I'm not sure. My cpu seems to be running fine. I ran CPU-Z and found no issues there. The graphics card would be my other suspect, but I thought I'd check and see if anybody had any ideas first.

Thanks in advance.

Quick update:
I installed Company of Heroes to make sure it wasn't just an Oblivion issue. Again, I ran the game and didn't even get to the main menu. The game started up, never got past a black screen, and after a few seconds my computer rebooted. I'm pretty frustrated and not sure what to do.

I'm thinking it might be driver related.
I have an 8800 GTS 320MB, and I found the drivers that work best are 101.09
*edit*
you can get them here

I have used 158.xx and 160.xx drivers, but I always get reduced performance over 101.xx

Alright, I installed the 101.02 drivers and everything with the install went fine. I ran oblivion, and everything was going smoothly until it came to the point to load a game. As soon as the load game screen popped up everything froze, and then after a few seconds I received the Blue Screen of Death (XP style). It didn't give me enough time to read through it before my system just rebooted, but I did see something n4 (Like the chipset?). I'm really concerned about how this will effect my hardware if this keeps up, as I am experiencing TONS of reboots every time the system starts to have video issues.

Okay, just an update. I ran OTTC, and it said I have a faulty processor. I also ran MemTest86+, which said that there are some errors in my memory. I havn't stopped and checked each DIMM slot and each chip separately, but I was wondering if a bad processor could have effected the memtest results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom