TERRIBLE idle CPU temps and Frequency!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you should find it didn't go on fully then at least for the time being you would have to remove it for cleaning and seeing a fresh application of AS-5 go on. On the second install you certainly know enough to see it seated properly to avoid another mishap.

The thread gurusan linked earlier does sum that up quite well. A look at the case shows there's adequate air flow and wouldn't account for high temps to start with.

Right, been sick all weekend so havent had time to check. But will give the heatsink a check this evening and let you guys know how it goes.

Took off the heatsink/fan, cleaned all the old gunk off the heatspreader, put some fresh Arctic silver 5 on, made sure I applied more pressure this time and now it idles at around the 32-36 mark. And arctic says it needs 200 hours to break in, so that should improve.

Happy gaming!.....finally.

Hope you let it warm up for 3-4hrs. first and then shut it down overnight to start the bonding process. It will take about 3-4days however before you want to see any good loads on the cpu for the heat transfer process to kick in. No ocing until then.

Generally it takes about two weeks to see a final bond depending on how many hours daily you have the system on. On the AMD 6000+ X2 here I initially saw only 23C with the new application having a Zalman 9700 sitting on top however. But down in the 30s for a stock hsf is about what to expect for an idle temp. I imagine you are relieved at this point.

When first applying any thermal paste like AS-5 the manufacturer's own instructions point to the need for seeing the system run for about 3-4yrs. in order to warm up the paste and then shutdown for several hours. The cooling is where the initial bonding starts to take place.

During the frist few days only run the system moderately without ocing or heavy loads placed on the cpu as that continues. Under average circumstances it will take about two weeks or 200hrs. depending on what comes first to see the paste cure fully.

The guide for applying AS-5 on Intel models can be looked over at Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

For AMD when selected you end up at Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

Which is why i switched to MX-2 and next time i order anything i'm going to pick up TX-2 :) No break in period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom