TERRIBLE idle CPU temps and Frequency!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Method

In Runtime
Ok, well my games have been running not too well recently, well COD4 in particular but just downloaded coretemp today to keep an eye on my CPU temps and dear god.

These are the temps im getting with no programs running more or less, just the desktop!!! This is a brand new CPU with pre applied paste aswell! I think I have found the problems with my gaming. Also my PC has just turned itself of twice recently, both have been while gaming!

I mean wtf!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3896/wtftempsge9.jpg

How accurate is coretemp??

EDIT: And ive just noticed its running at 1.6GHz !?!?!?! Its 2.4 at stock, what is going on?!?!

I've never tried that one. PC Wizard 2008 has been quite reliable when comparing the hardware monitor readings in the bios to what that reports. I suggest you take a look there to see what the temps are since softwares can be off at times.

What are you using for cooling the case as well as the cpu. If the ambient temps from a serious lack of air flow are high the board temps climb seeing high cpu temps as well. Once you lower the board temps down by having a case seeing good air flow a good 3rd party cpu cooler can then do a better job.

The shutdowns would be a result of the overheat protection circuit seen on just about all boards at this time. If all your hardwares are packed into a case seeing only an 80mm rear case fan toast! Your temps will soar.

I ran into that on an old Socket A build seeing a regular 74C and 85C max reached when the case saw one rear and one top 80mm fans but not even front or side vents to allow cooler air to be drawn in. Restart! Restart! Restart! right in the middle of anything that put a load on the cpu.

turn speedstep off to get rid of the 1.6ghz thing....temps could be bad read, no airflow, bad CPU cooler, bad seating....bad thermal paste used or in wrong way.......many many things

Time for some Artic Silver 5 or MX-2 I guess. Preapplied sounds like a stock hsf on top of everything. A good cooler like an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or Zalman model sounds good as long as the case also sees good air flow.

I have some arctic silver 5. Just never used it. Its the stock heatsink and fan. My case has a 12cm fan in front and rear. And a 9cm on the side panel. (see here Tsunami VA3000BWA)

And I recently had an order cable ties come through and have improved the cable managment as best as I could.

Oh and I have turned speedstep off, still the same thing. Yeah, the BIOS temperature always says around the 35 mark, but thats in the bios, not exactly demanding.

PC wizard yields similar results. I cant feel any hot air being exhuasted out the back, infact its pretty nice and cool. Maybe its the thermal paste then? btw quick question. Should I apply the heatsink and fan when the mobo is mounted or unmounted? Any of those other temps a worry to you guys aswell?

I would say the stock hsf didn't go on well and perhaps a bad prepaste. Moving upto a 3rd party cooler is the preferred option for most to start with especially for ocing and gaming builds to start with.

The temps seen in the bios with a quick shutdows come direct from the board's sensors there. With a fast look you haven't given the system that long to see the cpu cool too much. 35C in the bios and 67C in PC Wizard shows the problem is too high in PC Wizard to be accurate.

It's been on the mark here but all too often softwares will give false alarms and show fantastic temps while the hardware monitor is on the money allowing for only a few degrees difference. If you didn't seat the hsf down fully the bios would be seeing a higher idle temp right away with a stock hsf. You would likely be seeing 55C not 35C!

Its possible that one of the feet on the HSF didnt click in all the way. Those stock intel coolers are a PITA to get mounted. Open the case and see if the heatsink is even warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom