Terrible Fps in all games *please help* - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Swiften
Default Terrible Fps in all games *please help*

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Basically this battle with my computer started after i installed my new DVD burner and reformatted. I wanted to reformat because i felt my computer could use a good cleaning. When i installed my Dvd Burner i set the jumpers wrong, and my comp freaked, and for about an hour it wouldnt post, and thru the onboard sound, it was saying system failed cpu test. Now, i just uplugged everything and let it sit for about 45 mins, and it was working fine (remeber this was before the format.) After i got everything settled with that, i began to reformat, doing it the windows "long" way but i kept my music and such backed up on a seperate partition. After i formatted, i imediatly installed sp2, and updated and restarted my comp until it was done. I then installed all the necessary software for anti virus and anti spyware. Also, when installing my Dvd burner i was VERY carefull to ground myself when working with my hardware

After all that i installed css, bf2, and need for speed most wanted. Before the reformat i was getting 120fps+ in cs, 80+ in bf2, and about 80-100 in nfs. That is with all settings maxed and AA 2x and AF 4x. Now, i get 40-60 in cs, 30-60 in nfs, and 20-40 in bf2. Now those arent entirely "unplayable" i know, but after having it run silk for 9 months...its a huge change for me, plus i KNOW my hardware should be able to handle it. Here's my system setup...

Thermaltake Tsunami Case
Antec trueblue 480watt psu (rails are plenty good)
Amd 64 3500+ s939 winchester
Asus A8V deluxe
1gb (512x2) dual channel corsair valueram
eVGA 6800gt @ 410/1150
Soundblaster Audigy pro zs gamers
Maxtor 200gb Sata hd 7200rpm

Thank you for reading again,
and thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Did you install the latest version of Direct X and the latest video drivers? Also, what video card are you using?

My system: (updated)
AMD 64 X2 4400+ (Fast!)
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
2gigs OCZ DDR400/PC 3200 (Fast!)
WD Raptor 150gb SATA 10,000rpm
WD 250gig X 2 RAID 0
Thermaltake Tai-Chi case with W/C
BFG Tech Nvidia 7800GTX X 2 SLI\'d
<b>\"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn\'t thinking.\"</b> --General George S. Patton
<i>MSN=adydaoc@msn.com Yahoo=ady_1201@yahoo.com</i>
Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN
Default Re: Terrible Fps in all games *please help*

Originally posted by Swiften

eVGA 6800gt @ 410/1150

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Swiften

Yes i have the newest drivers, and i always use a driver cleaner to make sure everything is fresh

I have the newest version of directx.

I am begining to think more and more that its a new update released on steam for cs, because there are thousands of people on the steam forums that have posted the same problems, but mine extends to all my games.

Closed Thread