Takes 3/4 to about an hour to boot into windows (new hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Losluchadores

Beta member
Hopefully somebody can help me find a solution to this.

I just assembled it with
Mobo - Newegg.com - Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
GPU - Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
memory - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I installed windows XP pro

I have tried installing on both an IDE and SATA drive; the problem exists with both, seems like the motherboard just chooses not to read any information from a HDD for about an hour. But if i have a windows install CD it is ready to boot that immediately following normal diagnostic tests.

So here is what is on screen. (this is with an empty CD drive)

It will post, and go through diagnostics, then it will black screen for 20 minutes or so; which is where it would usually prompt me at the beginning to press a button to boot from windows install CD.
After the first 20 minutes a bunch of vertical bars appear close to the bottom and they start connecting very slowly as if they are loading; about a third of the way through it will finally boot into windows, which has taken about an hour at this point. So once in windows it runs like a perfectly good computer; nothing is slow.

A quick properties check on "My Computer" shows the 2GB RAM and CPU labeled correctly. Although I have two HDD set up through SATA; but my computer only displays the one i am running windows off of. My one IDE HDD shows up. My DVD drive is though SATA and works fine while in windows.

At first i thought; i need to get the drivers on there. That turned out to not be the case. After about 8 hours or letting the cd load drivers and reboot after each one; the problem still exists.

Maybe there is some stupid little safety boot option selected in the BIOS that i need to turn off; never have i heard of anything like this though. However nothing seems to stand out.

If you have questions or need clarifications I will be happy to answer them.

Sounds like a HDD problem, check the status of the IDE HDD, that could be you clue.....

Yeah i had made sure to switch in the BIOS which drive would come to boot first.
I pulled out the IDE drive, and it told me a file was missing; in the excitement that something new happened i didn't write it down. However now I am going to re-install windows on the SATA drive and will be back with my findings right away.
The IDE drive is 4-5 years old, but has been flawless; althought it has been through a fried processor and insuffecient PSU.
But again I'll let you know what happens.

Dio1080; thank you so much. After it copied over the initial files for the install it rebooted to start the install, and I didn't have to wait an hour for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom