System32 file missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbus

Beta member
On start up I get the following message:

"C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt" and windows stops loading.

Can someone please advise on how to solve the problem?

sounds to me like someone must of hacked in ur system and killed the file(s) or ur HD has bad sectors

Pop in windows XP Disk, boot off of it, go to install windows, it will detect a previous installation. Hit R for repair.
you don't have to do a repair-install.

When you boot from the XP disk, all you need to do is go to the recovery console, and once you log on, type the following commands:

del C:\Windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system
exit

Windows will boot after that.
sounds to me like someone must of hacked in ur system and killed the file(s) or ur HD has bad sectors
I highly doubt it. There are lots of ways files can become corrupt.

you don't have to do a repair-install.

When you boot from the XP disk, all you need to do is go to the recovery console, and once you log on, type the following commands:

del C:\Windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system
exit

Windows will boot after that.

Or that....
But thats assuming: that the file listed is the only damaged or missing component of windows. And sometimes its not, so a windows repair takes care of anything else..

Or that....
But thats assuming: that the file listed is the only damaged or missing component of windows. And sometimes its not, so a windows repair takes care of anything else..
I highly doubt the backup copy will be corrupt.
Even if it is, he can still try a repair-install afterwards.

Typing in the commands in the recovery console takes a lot less time, though.

who do you run a repair install? i have this same problem but i have multiple files corrupt

pop in the xp cd , go to repair and once your in the console Type "chkdsk /r" then enter. When done type "exit" and hit enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom