System wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin2021

Beta member
I got a used Dell Dimension 4600C from a cousin of mine, because she said it wasn't working. I asked why and she said it was because the heatsink to what I believe is the integrated gpu, is missing. At first I didn't think that just because a heatsink was missing it wouldn't start, but sure enough it gave an error just after the "DELL" screen saying something to the lines of "Heatsink missing. System halted." The problem is that one of the pins that held down the heatsink popped off and now the whole heatsink is off. Is there anyway to fix this problem? Should I glue it or solder it? Just thought I'd ask before I went off glueing everything in sight. Thanks:)

The GPU onboard? If so, you should try replacing the pin, and maybe sauder that. Do not glue anything- or you will have more problems. Is there an AGP or PCI slot that you can use a differnt card for? If so, you wouldn't need the onboard, and their should be an option in the bios to turn off the system halt if heat sink is missing. That's a possible option.

saudering wont hurt anything? like short anything out or something like that? i dont really want a graphics card in there because i just want to use it as a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom