System won't boot.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I have been given a system by a Friend who has DATA on it. Its from his Business. The System will just not boot. I have checked the PSU with a tester and its showing as fine. I have installed new memory, and put a New GPU in it. and it still won't boot. When it is booting I'm having to completely drain the system of its Power, and I get one Boot cycle, before shutting it down again Via the PWR Switch, and their is no VGA - D - SUB out put what so ever.

Their is no beep codes when the system Booting and I have Reset the BIOS threw Removing the battery and completely draining the Power.

I am stumped.

No one has been in side the system except me when I've tried to See whats wrong, so I don't this it could be anything like that. Their was a Power Cut as well last week at his office and I think it has got something to do with it.

EDIT: If anyone can help I would appreciate it as hes wanting the system back to night to retrieve the DATA if he can

Last edited:
First, just hook the HD up on another machine to get the data. That will also rule out the HD as an issue

I have been given a system by a Friend who has DATA on it. Its from his Business. The System will just not boot. I have checked the PSU with a tester and its showing as fine. I have installed new memory, and put a New GPU in it. and it still won't boot. When it is booting I'm having to completely drain the system of its Power, and I get one Boot cycle, before shutting it down again Via the PWR Switch, and their is no VGA - D - SUB out put what so ever.

Their is no beep codes when the system Booting and I have Reset the BIOS threw Removing the battery and completely draining the Power.

I am stumped.

No one has been in side the system except me when I've tried to See whats wrong, so I don't this it could be anything like that. Their was a Power Cut as well last week at his office and I think it has got something to do with it.

EDIT: If anyone can help I would appreciate it as hes wanting the system back to night to retrieve the DATA if he can

Most likely an issue with PSU or motherboard.

Does it have any additional PCI or PCI-Express cards you can remove?

Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM?

If he needs the data, you can always just pull the HDD and hook it up to a working system, either directly or via an external enclosure.

First, just hook the HD up on another machine to get the data. That will also rule out the HD as an issue

Its an Office Computer and I don't want to do that because I think his secretary is going to retrieve the DATA from the System when shes in tomorrow at work.

And tbh I want nothing to do with the the data on the HDD as its very sensitive. If something gets corrupted I'm not being responsible.

Last edited:
I know you say you aren't getting beeps but did your friend mention any beeps at all?

If the HD is fine, take out the gpu and use the built in card.

Its an Office Computer and I don't want to do that because I think his secretary is going to retrieve the DATA from the System when shes in tomorrow at work.

And tbh I want nothing to do with the the data on the HDD as its very sensitive. If something gets corrupted I'm not being responsible.

You will need to give him the HD then, if you have a separate drive put it in and test it, I think the psu could be the problem or a connection to the mobo as you aren't getting beeps, even if the pus passed.

Update - make a ultimate boot usb or similar and try boot the machine, then run tests

Last edited:
Most likely an issue with PSU or motherboard.

Does it have any additional PCI or PCI-Express cards you can remove?

Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM?

If he needs the data, you can always just pull the HDD and hook it up to a working system, either directly or via an external enclosure.

I've taken out the PCI Cards and Its for its day Carnage a very up to date system. Its old and running XP Professional and hes just upgraded the full Systems in his office. The DATA on this System he needs as it has calender contacts and something called SAGE Office. If something gets corrupted you can F*** that I'm not going no were next to the DATA.

The Business is very successful and big, being international hear in the UK.

I have removed all the Cards, tested the PSU with a tester, changed the RAM, being DDR2, Installed a New GPU I know works from my system I use for SETI@Home.

Their is no Beep codes, No D SUB out put as well.

EDIT: I've also Checked the On board D Sub and its not given an Out Put as well along with the GPU Card I know works.

Last edited:
You will need to give him the HD then, if you have a separate drive put it in and test it, I think the psu could be the problem or a connection to the mobo as you aren't getting beeps, even if the pus passed.

Update - make a ultimate boot usb or similar and try boot the machine, then run tests

From what I've said, do you think it could be the MoBo.

From what I've said, do you think it could be the MoBo.

Yes mobo if you are 100% the psu if fine. Tbh if it's got Xp it must be a really old machine that should retire

P.s sage is used for finance.

Last edited:
Yes mobo if you are 100% the psu if fine. Tbh if it's got Xp it must be a really old machine that should retire

The "Machine \ s" is being retired hence hes just bought in to Apple, seen the System on his Desks at the main office, hence I'm getting his old machines and XP Pro running until 2019 POS I'm well chuffed. I spoke to him last night and told him the grim situation with a enclosure he'd have to buy. Seemed fine about it as long as I can get the DATA from this HDD to the New Machine.

I'm not one to poke around peoples DATA let alone Businesses BUT

:Gasp: :AwwwYea:

EDIT: 05.10am , tbh i2D I have that many systems hear I have no Idea what to do with them. I have Chassis, Fully working systems in the Closet, I have systems in my living room that I have not got Booted, and bits lying around the place like you have never seen. I have 4 Towers running SETI@Home, one Laptop and one server. I have another 3 Systems that are not Booted, inc: One Server. Chassis in the Closet, with fully working components like MoBo's ECT: My head is Boxed when it comes to the Full lot. I have to spend a full day sorting what is working and what is not. I'll have to decide what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of.

The council will Charge hear in my local County £15 for 20 Bags of rubbish, I'll have to ring them up when I sort threw the lot and get rid of some of it. I can imagine it will cost at least £45 to have what I have removed. Considering the likes of one TV is like equivalent of 5 Bags of rubbish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom