System Reboot upon Bugcheck - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default System Reboot upon Bugcheck

Hey guys,

I have a xp pro sp3 computer, and I have been playing a new game on it. I had some sound and video issues at first, but I updated my graphics card driver and found a c media audio update as well, and things seemed to be going just fine.

Now I am regularly getting reboots during gameplay. No blue screen that I can see, no serious error message. Event viewer has a white informational notification saying:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0x00007b80, 0xab388980, 0xab38867c). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021410-02.dmp.

I can only assume this is happening due to my recent driver installs. Unfortunately, I did not make a restore point and know very little about computers in the first place. I am planning to get 7 very soon. Is this something I can fix now or should I just deal with it until I get 7 and hope that fixes everything?

Thanks for any help

Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: System Reboot upon Bugcheck

Hey gunslinger19, I read one of the error stop messages: 0x1000007e, and looked it up on google, I think it is relating to a software, driver and possibly memory error.
When was the last time you checked for stable drivers for your sound card and video card ?
What I am saying is you might have some bad hardware drivers on your pc.

You have a few options of what you can do:

1.Back up everything to a DVD-R or flash drive 4gb's format the pc and reinstall xp with sp3.
2.Remove the devices through device manager in windows xp, get rid of the drivers and test your pc for a hour and see what happens.
If it doesn't crash again, trying looking into some better drivers at the most, if not I would just reinstall xp and get everything back online and stabe again.

If you install xp and get windows 7 remember you can't jump from xp to 7 you must format and do a clean install.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: System Reboot upon Bugcheck

Thanks for the response, Mike.

I think you are definitely correct about it being driver related. In my searching, I have seen similar responses, and this happens just after I had been updating some drivers. The crash only happens when playing this one game, and that is after some time of play. I have the newest ATI driver for my video card, and (dont laugh) I use onboard audio from my mobo. This is the one that concerns me. I had been having some problems getting audio to go through to my right speakers, so I went to Asus and downloaded a couple of drivers and utility patches, one of which was C-Media. It fixed my sound issues, but then this rebooting started.

My problem is that I cannot replicate the error if I remove the ATI driver, since I wont be able to play the game. I know next to nothing about computers, but is it likely that the mobo onboard C-Media audio driver would cause this to happen - and only do so in game play?
Closed Thread