System problems after new PSU installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxeh

Beta member
I recently pressed my power button on my desktop PC to find nothing happen..
After some investigation on the net (laptops are lifesavers) I found it was probably the psu..So I went out and bought a new one and fitted it..
I pressed the button, to find it switch on! yay!

But..now when the Boot screen starts up, and it reads out the hard drives, the screen gets covered in horizontal white lines..

So i press delete..to take me to setup, and find it reads:

Primary IDE Master : NONE
Primary IDE Slave: A@O

..not looking good..my SATA drive, and my CD/DVD drives are detected fine..

so i fiddle around..and unplug the C: drive..it all works fine..but i don't have anything to boot to..

so i try again but instead without the D: drive..now I have my main drive..but it reads 'NTLDR not found' instead of 'insert boot disk' like before

I'm really hoping its not corrupt..but I'm guessing thats probably it..I hope someone here can explain the mysterious Failure of my antec PSU and the HDD, as my computer was off at the time, left overnight.. And even more, i really hope someone can help fix this problem!! I don't want to lose over a year of work!!

:(

I put the computer together myself from parts I bought from overclockers.co.uk.. It was an antec neo 480w that went out..

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo, an athlon 64x, and a geforce 7800 GTX, 2Gb RAM, With 2 IDE drives and 1 SATA, 1 CD writer, and 1 DVD writer

Oh and the new PSU is a Jeantech Arctic 600w..

Can't wait for your replies! :eek:

-Sam Pascoe

sounds like there might of been a power surge or something, are you using a surge protector?
Anyway the hard drive might be damaged or maybe just some of the data on it, or if your unlucky it might be the mobo.

***Just to check something stupid.. you dont have a floppy in the drive do you?***

So let me get the situation straight, you have 2 IDE drives one of which is your system drive (C: ) and also your boot drive. you removed your second IDE drive (d: ) and the BIOs then recognises your C: drive but wont boot .
have you tried your c: drive on both IDE channels? and are you sure the BIOs is set to boot from the correct location?

Once you've checked all that, boot from you XP CD and see whats on the harddrive, if the previous installation comes up then try a repair install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom