System Issues, Overheating CPU? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default System Issues, Overheating CPU?

I have recently been having some problems with my system. I built it about three years ago and it has run great, with a few exceptions along the way. Right now I am having problems with my audio and I think it is stemming from my CPU overheating. The problem itself is that at first my headset would not work at all, so I disassembled the system, cleaned off all the contacts and rebuilt it. Then I reinstalled the Realtek audio drivers. My headset speakers now work, but I can not get the microphone to work. My regular speakers work well also. My system is running at 34C, but my processor is running at 80C. It is using the original heatsink and fan that it came with. It has been running fine these past few years, but now it is giving me problems. I am considering replacing the heatsink with a better aftermarket one, or possibly even liquid cooling. Am I headed in the general right direction, or are there other things I should be looking at? I am willing to supply any and all information necessary to get help with this. Here are my system specifications.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: (2) OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK
Graphics: EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
HDD: 500GB 7200 RPM WDC WD50 01AALS-00L3B SCSI
HDD: 640GB 7200 RPM WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI
Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: System Issues, Overheating CPU?

I would start by cleaning off the old thermal paste from the heatsink/cpu and replacing it with new paste. - Arctic Silver MTX-2.5G Matrix Thixotropic Premium Thermal Compound

If that doesn't lower your CPC temperature then I would replace the heatsink. This is better than the original and suitable for mild overclocking. - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

If your still having audio problems after fixing the cooling problem, then it's probably your motherboard. You can replace it or buy a sound card.
Closed Thread