System Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inari

Beta member
I've had some trouble recently with my system. The system will hang completely, forcing me to reboot. An attempt to restart the computer then results in the monitor not receiving any information. My first thought was a video card issue, so I disconnected everything, opened the case up, and fiddled with the video card (of course, I tried reseating the cables first.)

When I turned the computer on, it brought me directly to the motherboard's system configuration screen, which told me that the system hang was caused by an incorrect CPU speed. I have not altered the speed from default. The first time this occured, I considered it a fluke. The second time, I took a little more seriously. The error occured exactly as it had before, the only changes being what programs I happened to have running.

Here are my specs:

Asus P4S800 Motherboard with Pentium 4 2.6Ghz Processor, 800Mhz FSB
Western Digital 7200 rpm 40 gig hard drive, Windows XP SP1 installed
Western Digital 7200 rpm 120 gig hard drive, additional storage
Radeon 9600se 128mb graphics card running in AGP port
Two PCI wired ethernet cards
One PCI wireless card
Lite-on CD-RW 52x32x52x
Lite-on DVD-R
Two USB game controllers
PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse
CRT Monitor
CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device

This computer has not had any changes to its hardware configuration in three months, when I installed the DVD-R. This replaced a CD-R drive, which was not working properly. Other than that, no hardware changes have occured in at least 6 months. Computer is custom built by me.

If any further information is required, I will make it available.

first of, THANK YOU for being aweomse enough to provide adequate info as opposed to alot of other newcomers on this forum

secondly, welcome to TF :D

lastly, do you get any beepcodes or.. whaT?

You're quite welcome. Being a computer geek, I get enough people asking me to fix their computers that I know how painful it is to ask "What's it doing?" only to be told "It's not working."

Thanks for the welcome.

And, sadly, no beepcodes, because I don't have a working system speaker. Until now, that hasn't been a problem, and so I haven't gotten a new one.

If only it would use the desktop speakers... *sigh*

As of 9pm last night, I am having basically the same problem...and I have basically the same specs as the first poster. Here is what happened:

I was playing a game and left the room for about 15 mins. When I came back it looked like my computer was off. The power light was blinking but the computer seemed to be on. I restarted and got a blue screen which said something about if I installed any new hardware or software to reinstall it. It also said that if this was my first time receiving this message to restart. I restarted and nothing. The computer turns on but it doesn't seem to be booting up...there aren't any beeps. My flat screen monitor's power light keeps blinking and I don't see anything on the screen. Someone please help.

Actually, your problem is different. Blue screen means that the OS is having issues. My computer gave me the setup screen when I rebooted. The problem may be the same, but the symptoms sound a bit different to me.

Oh, and as an update, taking out the motherboard battery and removing the jumpers (and replacing it all of course) caused the motherboard to default back to normal and got everything working again. As of this time, I do not know if this is temporary or if it is finally fixed. I will update when I have a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom