System Hanging On Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambien

Beta member
Please Help!! System Not Posting

I recently started having trouble with one of my systems that I had built a while ago. I have an Athlon XP 1800 with 1.5GB of RAM with an ASUS MB (I forgot the model number).

Anyhow, I recently moved and reset up the computer (no hardware modification, just moving of case). I plugged it in and it worked fine. Later that evening it locked up and I restarted it. It does turn on, but the only thing that happens is that the CD ROM light comes on, and the HD light comes on as well as the power light. All three stay lit and do not blink or anything. All case, CPU, and video card fans come on. There is no picture, no attempt to load windows. I swapped out the memory and checked all connections, still the same thing.

The only other thing that I can say is that when turning the computer on, there is a loud whining type noise which is coming from a fan somewhere. I can not tell if it is the power supply fan or cpu fan. However, that has been going on for a few months and I let it go because it went away in 30-60 seconds after it was on for a while.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this subject and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I disconnected everything, cleared the CMOS, and reinstalled just the video card. Still the same thing. Nothing comes up on the monitor, but all fans are going strong. I'm leaning to a bad MOBO or a bad PS. Anyone else come across this problem before? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom