"System failed CPU test"

Status
Not open for further replies.

socav

Baseband Member
OK so my computer was working fine. I open the case, take out the stick of memory, write some info down, put it back, close the case, start the computer up, and it doesn't boot. Nothing comes on the screen. All there is is a voice saying "System failed CPU test" over and over. This was about a couple months ago. Since then, I've tried booting with/without the video card/memory/drives, I've re-seated the CPU, tested the power supply, and still nothing. I also flipped the voltage switch on the back of the PSU. Since it can't be any sort of software/BIOS issue, it must be a hardware issue. I'm thinking it was ESD. And since I never even touched the CPU, it has to be the motherboard, right? Are there any other possibilities?

Here are some specs:
AUSU K8V SE Deluxe
Athlon 64 3200+ (754)
512MB Legacy DDR 3200
350 Watt PSU (no brand...)
nVidia GeForce3 Ti 200

As you can see, my video card is fairly old, so I'm thinking of just getting an ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe (has a PCI-e slot) and then upgrade to something like an x800xl.

Thanks for any input.

socav said:

As you can see, my video card is fairly old, so I'm thinking of just getting an ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe (has a PCI-e slot) and then upgrade to something like an x800xl.

Thanks for any input.

Go with a 6800GT and dont buy ASUS. Buy a MSI or DFI-Lanparty.

I was just going to go with the ASUS because I was happy with my K8V SE Deluxe. But I'm definitely open to suggestions. What are the reasons I should go with an MSI or DFI and a 6800GT? I thought the x800xl outperformed it on almost every game.

OK so here are my two options from DFI and MSI:

DFI

MSI

Which is better???

Did you ground yourself before touching the memory stick. Try a new stick of ram couldnt hurt...

I kinda work for ASUS, and some of their products are pretty cool :p

But myself I have a MSI mobo and a 6600GT lol :D

Regarding your PC problem. Like splatoid said. New stick of ram or try the other ram slot?

Perhaps strip the PC down to bare minimums? Or jump the BIOS?

Asus makes great Pentium 4 boards, but their K8 boards are really only average. MSI and DFI pretty much dominate K8 s939.

DFI boards are the best for overclocking
MSI are second best overclockers to DFI's, but are cheaper.

darkninja said:
I kinda work for ASUS, and some of their products are pretty cool :p

But myself I have a MSI mobo and a 6600GT lol :D

Regarding your PC problem. Like splatoid said. New stick of ram or try the other ram slot?

Perhaps strip the PC down to bare minimums? Or jump the BIOS?

Thank you for my new quote for my sig

I really doubt it's the memory, because I would have gotten a voice message for it. Also, with or without the memory in place, there are no beep codes.

OK, so I'm sold on an MSI, especially since I won't be doing any overclocking. But why should I go for a 6800GT rather than an x800xl? And why not a 7800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom