System Drive Filled - Discrepancies in Used Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv_el

Beta member
I built a new machine with a 100 gig System partition and installed Vista 64bit.

About a week later i was installing something and noticed i had "7 gigs" of space left. When i check the drive in explorer it also says so and has the pie chart.

So i dig in and delete some things, disk cleanup, and reboot my machine. This gets it so the pie chart says i am using 70 gigs on the C drive.

But if i go to the base C root and right click--> properties on all the folders (show invisible is on) It says i'm using 27 gigs! This seems more correct with about 12 for OS, 12 for Programs, and the rest (bout 4gigs) scattered around on the desktop and what not.

What is going on here? Is there some pagefile or something not getting included! i'm a bit shocked that 100gigs isn't working out well as a system drive.

Thanks.

How large is your hibernation file during disk cleanup? Have you done virus and spyware scans? Do a manual disk defrag.

Hybernation file is 16gigs! What is that? Should i clean that off?

Virus scan is showing that i'm fine. Funny thing is that the system is VERY new. Its literally like Vista 64 and a few apps since i built the brand new machine a couple weeks ago.

I will Defrag soon and try that.

Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom