System Cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Flanker
Default System Cooling

I need to get my case cooler. I only have space for one 120mm fan in my case and I have a fan in it. I ordered Arctic Cooling 5 for the CPU but I still need to get the CPU cooler. Its Idling at 55*C and I don't even know how high it goes under pressure. I have the stock HSF, will getting a new, better-quality HSF help?

Also, should I tear a hole into the side of my case to add a fan or two there? Will it be too hard, and is it worth it?

Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

will getting a new, better-quality HSF help?
They wouldn't sell after market heatsinks if they didn't help.

That's a damn hot CPU considering it's a 3200+ venice.

Most people will tell you to get a Zalman series I haven't bought a heatsink in a long *** time since I have water cooling I don't know the exact model number, but just look into zalmans, they got a couple in 90mm and 120mm that are rather huge but cool well

Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to toxicredcat

have you got cooling paste under you heatsink. i didnt and it was at 48 degrees, got some paste and now its at 34. i wouldnt 'tear' a hole in your case, just leave the whole side off, unless you know what your doing.
also and exhaust fan maybe an idea (goes on a pci slot) but dont buy a cheap one, i did and it made my system hotter? alotho a decided to place it at the side of the hdd so it blew air under the motherboard which cooled it to 26 (motherboard) alto i wouldnt recommend doing that.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

make sure its compaitble with your mobo by going to and going under amd coolers find the 7700cu and go to view and look for your mobo

47 dollars to much but you still want about the same performance

thermaltake venus 12 36 dollars, compatible with most mobos
AIM/Xfire - pzerofgh
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Sweet, thanks guys. My Case is very anti-cooling, so thats probably why by hardware is running so hot. I ordered Arctic Cooling 5 so it should be here soon.

Is the Zalman simply a huge fan or does it also have a heatsink? I ask because I still want to put arctic cooling on the processor.
Closed Thread