System boots but no display - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: System boots but no display

Well the sticks are definitely seated properly. One in each slot then the other in each. Each time making sure of seating. So yes, I will try another stick tomorrow. Have a good night, er, day, SOul.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

there could be residual charges being held in the motherboard, causing it to not boot properly. Dell computers are known for this?

Have you tried draining the capacitors by unplugging the power source and holding in the power button for 3-5 minutes and then plugging it back in.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to azzyork

try another screen/monitor. press and hold delete/esc/f1/f12/f8/insert lol worth a shot
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well I don't know about a Dell, or HP, Compaq, etc..., but your bios may have a setting for PCI-e or PCI video.

This Asus mobo has it located as Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Initiate Graphics Adapter and the options are [PCI/PEG] or [PEG/PCI]

I have an old EVGA mobo manual it it shows the same basic setting under the PnP/PCI Configuration Menu > Init Display First and the option are [PCI Slot] or [PCIEx].

With that said, the system should be able to work with a video card in either type of slot. And the bios setting above should only effect the order in which the system looks for the device (quicker boot). But you never know.

It sounds like it's either the cpu or the mobo to me, but I would try a different power supply first just to rule out the possibility (fans, a few lites, even a HDD spinning doesn't mean it good).
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Quote:
Well I don't know about a Dell, or HP, Compaq, etc..., but your bios may have a setting for PCI-e or PCI video.

This Asus mobo has it located as Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Initiate Graphics Adapter and the options are [PCI/PEG] or [PEG/PCI]

I have an old EVGA mobo manual it it shows the same basic setting under the PnP/PCI Configuration Menu > Init Display First and the option are [PCI Slot] or [PCIEx].
Hmmm, I'm not sure how I would check because of the no display issue.

Quote:
With that said, the system should be able to work with a video card in either type of slot.
Key word, "should", I tried that but like Trotter said, who knows with a Dell.

Quote:
It sounds like it's either the cpu or the mobo to me, but I would try a different power supply first just to rule out the possibility (fans, a few lites, even a HDD spinning doesn't mean it good).
Ok, cool, I will keep these things in mind.

@ all, thanks everyone ! Please stay tuned.. I'll be back soon with an update.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Usually if the CPU is dead then fans will spin up, hdds will spin up, but you'll get no beep codes at all. So *hopefully* your CPU is still ok. Mobo though yeah, that could be the problem hate it when that's the case because unless you've got another system spare with compatible parts it's hard to troubleshoot
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Sorry for so long in responding but I finally got some time in to fix my daughter's computer, and the verdict is......RAM. I bought a new RAM stick and voila ! Thanks for all the ideas, people.