Suspected hardware failure. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Suspected hardware failure.

Ok, so either my CPU or Mobo is completely ****ed beyond repair and so i am replacing the both of them. I needed an upgrade anyways but i didn;t want to have to do it due to components dieing on me.

My question is this, could the death of my mobo/CPU cause damage to my other hardware such as RAM, GFX Card, etc?

Sorry but i just need a simple answer, yes's and no's with a quick explanation would be nice. I'm having to use an old laptop and its running low on juice, just enough to write this and then read the replies a bit laters.

Cheers folks. Any help would be great!!!

My problem is this:

The computer will run for 5mins and then COMPLETELY freeze on me. Sometimes it runs longer, one time i even managed to run 3Dmark03, it did all the graphics test 100% fine but when it came to the CPU test, it crashed and gave me an error about 'failing to locate centre' or something similar. The computer then did the lockup thingy.

Right, i don't have a Computer at 'hand' to do the testing but i have another writeup of problems:

Example 1:

I load up the computer, its running fine, i load up a spyware scan program and it'll run. Half way through a scan the Keyboard and Mouse just seem to 'pack' up (both are seperate devices not linked via USB). The scan completes and shows the status screen (0 spyware, etc.) but i cannot do anything else, i'm left staring at the status screen. I then press restart and the computer is either left with a black screen (nothing loads but the computer green light is shwoing)

Example 2:

I load up the computer and it displays the DOS screen that shows system info. It comes up with;

AMD XP 2800 Proccesor
RAM: testing 1024 - OK

And then it gets stuck there, nothing else happens. If i then reboot the computer it loads up to a screen of black nothingness.

Any ideas as to what my problem is?
Sometimes the PC won't even start, it just stays on the DOS like screen thats displayed before the Windows logo loads.

I mean, My CPU is hot (around 45 - 55) but it will cock up when the computers almost just booted up, with no load or anything. So i doubt its a heat issue.

So, any ideas as to what part has died? (i recently upgraded my PSU and its been running fine for about 2 months)

(**** grammar, i'm too pissed to care.... using a laptop keyboard doneenst help eoither)

AMD 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.2ghz
2048mb Corsair PC3200 RAM (2x1gb)
WinFast NF4SK8AA Motherboard
660GB HDD Capacity (3xHDD)
600w Enermax PSU
eVga 8800 GTS 320mb
Old 08-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

did you try memtest86? download that and run it for about 2-4 hours and see if any errors come up. Because it sounds like your ram is causing the problems.
INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
Closed Thread