Summer HEAT effects on a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
Currently, I've got my desktop PC set up in my bedroom, which is upstairs. It's around 90F out here in Oregon right now, and my room probably hits 100F during the day. (No air conditioner at the moment. :( ) I only use my PC in the morning when it's cool, but by about 10AM I shut it down for the day, since the hard drives start getting hot.

However, is the heat going to have any effect on my PC or CRT Monitor, even when it's shut down? (I leave it in Hibernate during the hot part of the day.) I was wondering if it might effect the life of any of the components or circut boards, etc. :confused:

Heat will not affect the PC if it's off. Most PC components can handle up to 120F, even people can't handle it.

Holy crap dude, if it hits 80 in my apt i wanna die. But no, the machine will be fine. Buy an AC.

My best advice, batten down the hatches during the day. Close all the doors, windows, or whatnot, close curtains and blinds, and leave your windows open at night to let the house cool down.

If your religious about this stuff your house shouldn't go above 80 during the day.

Just to clear things up:

Downstairs in my house, it stays VERY cool, probably only 65 or 70F as we keep the windows closed and the shades down, and then open them at night. It's my upstairs BEDROOM that will go to 100F, mostly because it's got 3 skylights. :eek: I've tried closing everything UPSTAIRS durning the day and it gets even hotter! So I just keep the upstairs open and the downstairs closed.

But yes, I do want to get an AC for upstairs, and I might even look into some cooling upgrades for my PC -- the video card overheated at 150F last night and locked up while playing Doom 3. (It was still about 80 - 85F in the room.) Nothing broken though, it just stalled for a minute. Whew! It's liquid cooled and has monster of a heatsink, but I guess that wasn't enough.

I'm adding another front-side case fan later. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom