Suggestions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric1

In Runtime
I'm trying to solve a problem with one of my Co-Workers computers. It is a Dell Dimension 4600. The problem is the computer will run for about 5 minutes then it will freeze and sometimes it will reboot as well. The hard drive has been formatted and the OS has just been reinstalled, so I think this might be a hardware issue. I'm thinking it is going to need a new hard drive, but I wanted to ask for your assistance before I tell him it needs a hard drive, by the way I ran a disk check and it checked out fine, but I don't know if that necessarily means the hard drive is good. Any help would be appreciated.

System Specs:
Dell Dimension 4600
Pentium 4 2.8GHz
MB RAM 768
40 GB HDD
Nvidia 6600 Graphics
XP Home

Sounds like a heat issue with ur cpu either from a stuck cpu fan or there could just be a build up of hair etc in the inlet for the cpu fan, download the cpu monitor from CPUID and check the temperature. It should be somewhere around 45 degrees Celsius.

Cheers Brendan

Run MemTest86. Are you sure it doesnt overheat?

I haven't tried MemTest yet, but I will try that as well. I have not noticed too much heat and the computer is fairly clean. All the fans are working and sound stable.

Mostly this symptom happens in heat issue. Looking at the event log will give some clue
about software/hardware failures. I would run a memcheck, cleanup my fans and apply some silver compound. It could be a virus too.

Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom