Sudden lowered processor performance - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Sudden lowered processor performance

Hi, I'm running a pc on Vista-64. I have a fast processor (Quad-Core Phenom 2.3GHz), 4 gigs of RAM and a custom graphics card (Radeon 4800). My computer has always been fast as a whip and very responsive.

Unfortunately, I have a penchant for downloading all sorts of stuff, some of which certainly messes with registry files (like virtual drives).

A few weeks ago, my pc suddenly began running sluggishly for the first time since I bought it. I used some highly recommended registry cleaners, but that didn't help. I also scanned it with several top rated antivirus and anti-spyware programs, but they all say my computer is clean. Insofar as I can tell, there are no excess or unwanted programs or services on the task manager, but my computer continues to run quite slowly. I can't figure it out. I would use system restore, but the earliest restore points still don't fix the problem.

One unique thing that I've noticed is that the task manager records to processor jumping up to 75 and 100 percent usage on simple tasks such as expanding the task bar (also, when I expand the task bar, it occurs in slow motion on my screen).

Any suggestions as to what could have happened or what I can do to help fix it?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Sudden lowered processor performance

Spyware Asylum

I would go through that first. Make sure that the system is completely clean then we can work from there on figuring out why it is acting up.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for your help. i'm running the spyware scan just in case, but i think i finally found the cause... i opened up my shell and lifted a solid half inch of dust off the processor. runs like a dream again lol
Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

A good cleaning with a can of compressed air should be done. This should be done at least once a year to make sure that the dust build up inside the PC is kept down. As a dust build up on the fans, heatsinks and other parts can cause failure to the hardware.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread