sudden crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

comphatesme

Beta member
I recently built myself a computer and I've run into some trouble.
I know you'll want specs, but I can't remember the details and I've misplaced the paperwork. I'll add a post if I find the right stuff.

The Problem: A week or so after I started using the computer, it froze.
I thought that perhaps it was overheating (the temp being nearly 100 degrees all week and I only have the stock fan). So I restarted and thought nothing of it. However, the problem persisted. Sometimes, I wasn't even there when it crashed, I would just come home and the monitor wouldn't turn on because the PC wasn't recieving and input from the mouse or keyboard. So I restarted and it was fine. Last night, I brought the computer over to my friend's house to transfer some files and when I brought it home, it wouldn't start at all.

What I checked: On for approx. 1 sec, all the fans function, not on long enough for harddrives to spin, front panel LED works for the 1 sec, all wires properly attached and in normal condition.

Of note: The instant before the crash, without warning I got a plug and play message that said "new USB device found", which was odd, because I hadn't pluggged anything in.

What I think: PSU failure due to overheating.

Any input before I replace my PSU (550W) as to what else the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

changed

The problem has changed. Now everything on the motherboard is powered on, but neither the harddrives nor the CD drives have started spinning. Also, none of the ports supply power to the peripherals.

So open up the case and write down the Specifications its not that hard.

Try another Power supply, borrow one fromn a friend if you have to and add more fans or cooling solutions. (Crank the AC up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom