Stuttering/CPU Usage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

banapaulo

Beta member
Hello. My PC, since yesterday, started stuttering every second or two. It is extremely annoying and makes playing audio or video an impossibility. It started when I was watching a (admittedly very scratched) DVD, but now seems to be a problem all of its own. I have tried the following to locate and remove the problem:

AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy
Avast virus scan
CCleanup
Removing dust from my computer, checking fans
Removing the soundcard and mouse
Closing all processes and programs
Running in safe mode
Reverting to an old restore point
Updating graphics card drivers

I've come to the conclusion the problem is linked to the CPU, as whenever the computer is running the CPU Usage in Task Manager is at least 13%. It never goes below this, even with nothing running whatsoever. The only time it did, after my last restart, the stuttering dissapeared. However, it returned again shortly afterwards and the usage went back up to a minimum of 15%. I've also ran SpeedDisk and it's not my hard drives.

There seems to be a phantom proccess using my CPU, or maybe the fans aren't running or it's faulty. I don't really know where to go from here, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP Home
MSI K8N Sli-FI (MS-7185)
AMD 64 3700+ @ 2.2ghz
2x512mb PC3200 RAM
2xATA HDD
MSI Geforce 6800GS 256mb PCI Express
Soundblaster Audigy ZS
Thermaltake 480W PSU

Have you tried going into MSCONFIG? (Start, Run, type in "msconfig") Try disabling all of the programs that are starting when you turn your computer on. Also, Try defragmenting your hard drive. Also try running a chkdsk /r. Since you have Adware and Spybot Search & Destroy, run a full system scan and remove the bad files accordingly. Also try cleaning out your registery.

A computer that is "stuttering" like you have stated is usually directed towards Spyware or some type of Virus. Defragmenting your hard drive won't hurt though.

I have tried running Diagnostic Startup through MSConfig, i.e. nothing loading at startup, to no avail. I have run Spybot and AdAware and they found little, what they did find has gone. I thought it sounded like a virus too, but avast found nothing. I left my computer to defrag yesterday and when I came back the window had dissapeared: I assumed the computer must have reset or something. I'll try it again, but I fear it will not solve the problem. My registry was cleaned with CCleanup.

can you let me know if you solve this?
i think i have a similar problem. thanks.

The problem has gone for now, it hasn't been stuttering since this morning. Can't say I did anything to solve it, it just seemed to stop. Nothing gained, really.

was shuttering coming from speakers? or casing? although yours solved, but what if someone else had same problem, so it'll be good to know what happened?

Well, if I moved the mouse it would jerk. If I played music it would stutter. But it was not a sound-related problem, as I tried taking my soundcard out. I can only assume it was a hardware problem, though I can't be sure. Maybe Windows was just being funny. I don't think it was software because System Restore didn't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom